AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a subject called special weapons, and we were learning about a romanian AK variant, the M65. The teacher, who is a soldier has no idea why the grip is made with a normal and a reversed version. The one who can answer that question gets an A grade. I hope that one of you know the answer and can help me.

Thank you,
Gergely Ambrus

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have a subject called special weapons, and we were learning about a romanian AK variant, the M65. The teacher, who is a soldier has no idea why the grip is made with a normal and a reversed version. The one who can answer that question gets an A grade. I hope that one of you know the answer and can help me.

Thank you,
Gergely Ambrus
They used the backward facing grip on the M65 so the buttstock portion of the folding stock would clear the grip when folded up.

Reactions: boatma1

·
Registered
771 Posts
The reversed version is made for the Md65 so the folding stock can go around the grip into its folded position.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Note that the earliest md65 rifles had a lower hand guard without a grip that extended downwards, but by the late 1960s they had the "reverse" grip that allowed clearance for the folding stock. The md.65 rifle never came with the forward-slanted lower handguard grip, that was used on the fixed stock md63 and later fixed and side-folding stock (not under-folding) iterations of the rifle.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Im assuming hes meaning why did they go with the forward grip in the first place and not just the backwards.... Which is something i always kind of wondered my self. Im assuming the angle away from you allows better control in FA since its allowing to actually pull down more? Like the best way to force something down is doing so by the top pushing down, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I never understood why the tommy gun had that angle. It does not make sense to me for the grip to have that angle if the muzzle climb (front end) is rising in front of you. It would make sense for the angle to be opposite, therefore its allowing you to hold that upwards force better and have more control of it...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Anybody here ever shoot a full auto with both style grips and notice if the forward allows better control like my theory?? I never have, so im not sure... It just makes sense given the characteristics of a gun.. Butt stock which is the end of the object to your shoulder, furthest end of the object being the muzzle is rising up on a angle. You cant stand in front of the gun to force it down or on the side or by holding the muzzle/end of barrel its self. So therefore you would want to pull towards you where you would want to be pushing if it was possible.... Then there is the fact that the Rommy used the older style folding stock with the angle, so it would make sense that if their standard rifles were being adopted with a grip, it would be best to have a grip on a underfolder with that angle. Which makes me wonder why they went with that angle underfolder to begin with.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I never understood why the tommy gun had that angle. It does not make sense to me for the grip to have that angle if the muzzle climb (front end) is rising in front of you. It would make sense for the angle to be opposite, therefore its allowing you to hold that upwards force better and have more control of it...
I think the point of it was that you used it in front of you while sweeping the trenches from the top. You weren't shouldering it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I think the point of it was that you used it in front of you while sweeping the trenches from the top. You weren't shouldering it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Right, how it’s intended to be held. I want to go to AK school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: AK47(AngelKing)AK74

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

I would say it was a nod toward esthetics as well,, being that the class of gun was still early in it's development

the Boye's rifle grip is the one that is a real head scratcher

1 - 12 of 12 Posts