AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm digging through a box lot I picked up a while ago. In the bottom was this cleaning kit. In the kit was this thing that looks like a large round. At first I thought it was part of the cleaning kit (Like some kind of oil bottle made from a shell casing.) Then I realized the bottles go in the two places of the kit roll where I thought this round was supposed to be held.

There are no markings on the bottom, and it is painted a gold color. It's weight feels like it's a live round, but the gold paint and the lack of a marking on the bottom make me think it's for something else. I didn't think much at first but them when I looked at the rest of the kit, I realized this may not be part of the kit!

This is pretty large. Compare it next to a .223 and a .50 cal! :eek:

It makes a .50 look small. If this is live I need to get rid of it.

What do i have??

· Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I agree it's the 20mm in the above link.

I do hear a faint sound though, like a very small pebble rolling around.

Could I weigh it to find out if it's live? I have a small digital scale.

· Registered
621 Posts
M51A2 20mm Dummy Round.
These are used for non-firing system tests and as inert ballast.

For future reference... Most all of the live 20mm ammo out there is electric primed. While the electric primers are not super sensitive, I wouldn't want to be the first one on my block to set one off with static electricity.

· Registered
4,405 Posts
well, its hard for me to tell without having the peice in hand, but I really think its a oldier (1980's) 25mm training round. Like we used with Bradley's. I did not think most of the US made 20mm was bottled necked this this example.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
stackscustominc said:
99.9% positive its 20mm from the pic, but i think its a solothurn 20mm
+1, not wide enough in dia. to be 25 mm. Think, the 50 bmg next to it is 12.5. There's no way that round is twice that size.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.