AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have some close ups of the receiver also dimensions (stottman)? I've been considering buying one but the lack of a receiver has me wondering. Also who thinks the prices seem alright for the kits (how rare, how many where acctually shipped to the us and who has one are they pretty new)? I just don't want to spend that much if they where 800$ a year ago and there was an assload imported. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Be careful, the design has to be ATF approved even if you aren't selling... basically you send it in and they test it and eventually you get the gun back with approval letter.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not saying your wrong but, where does it state that. I don't see any difference in me building a receiver myself and someone bending their own flat or milling their own ar receiver. Technically its the same thing, a flat or an 80% is not a receiver and does not fall under the same laws. Nobody I've heard of has had to send their rifles built on a flat to the atf for testing. Can someone please clarify and show the law? I know that is true for manufacturers but did not think it was true for individuals. If thats true thanks for the heads up but, I would really like to see the law.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
The AK semiauto design is well known, done by everyone.

Email Military Gun Supply. I talked with the designer of the DP-28, and he said he had to send the whole gun to the ATF for approval. MGS is doing the same for their semi auto Suomi and PPSh copies.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that but, they are a manufacturer. And the ak design has nothing to do with it. People make their own flats and every flat maker or 80% makers are different. So that would make it where they all had to be sent off. As fars as I know it must be semi, closed bolt design, and compliant. I would really like to see the law. I'm not knocking you but I won't take MGS word on shit. If you could come up with something firm I would appreciate it or someone else.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
The AK design was submitted/approved long ago... it's your 5 years of prison man, email MGS and ask them for the info on the law.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but open-bolt guns are a whole 'nother ball of wax....

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but open-bolt guns are a whole 'nother ball of wax....
Absolutely correct!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Open bolt guns were made NFA shortly after the 86 ban... to easy to convert to FA if it has a fixed firing pin.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know open bolts must be converted to the closed bolt design. But I was hoping for something in atf's laws that says you can build your own gun if you are not a manufacturer. I'm not saying I'm going to or that you are wrong but, contacting MGS ain't going to do me any good. Should I tell the atf that MGS said it was cool if I built it. I was wondering if someone actually had the law stating yes or no handy.

ETA: Sturm you caught me in the middle of the post. Thanks I bookmarked that one last night. I just didn't know how soon they would be available or price(if there was only a few kits imported). Both reasons for me thinking of making my own. My initial questions have gone unaswered. Thanks agian sturm

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
SturmGrenadier said:
Your wasting ya breath and pharming post counts.

Streettrends, Vltor is way ahead of the game. http://www.vltor.com/projects.html

And yes they do plan on pursuing semi only receivers once their first batch of autos are sold.
I WILL RULE THE WORLD OF POSTS!!! :twisted:

Seriously, there is some kinda ATF approval process that new semi auto designes have to go through. I do not know what it is, but all the designers I have talked to mentioned having to send it in to the ATF for approval.

ETA: here he mentions sending it in for acceptance, look thru the site, he mentions a semi-auto Maxim being rejected by the ATF... email him and ask about the approval issue. http://www.geocities.com/jumanra/dp28-1.html

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see what you are saying Q but, you are missing what I'm saying. Manufactures must send in a copy or prototype to the ATF for testing. I have seen nothing saying it must be done by an individual.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ernie Wren was bankrupted and had to cop a plea bargain with the ATF because he went to market with a design that did not have the letter of approval from the ATF. That situation is a bit different than yours because he was doing so for profit.

But it illustrates what can happen to you if you are caught with a design that has not been thru the approval process. You CAN make a firearm for personal use as a normal civilian gun owner. BUT, if that design is for a belt fed weapon, or a weapon that previously fired from the open bolt, you are a complete fool to risk your freedom and the right to own a gun by not taking the simple step of sending in plans for your semi conversion. It does not mean that you have to send in your proto type right off the bat, you can send in the mechanical drawings. But sending the gun is easiest.

You are going to do what you want, there is nothing that forces you to do so. But is taking a short cut and not going thru the process worth the risk?

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
(A7) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? [Back]

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms.
However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from
imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be
approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]

Maybe I'm not reading this right. As long as I'm not selling it not prohibited from having it, it is 922r compliant and closed bolt it should be legal? Is there another one saying that it does or doesn't have to be approved. Since the receiver is the firearm it does say that you can build one. Let me know if anyone else has some laws.

ETA: No one is saying I'm going to. I was wanting to see the laws before I waste the ATF's time on something that is already written and I don't know where to find it. I don't want to go to jail, just want to know the laws. If I can find out from someone online in a day it is better than waiting a month for an answer from the atf.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts