AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new the AK world and having just purchased a Arsenal sam7 I am considering an optical sight for it (old eyes and such). Being a lefty I am in need of a sight that will center over the receiver (not offset). Perusing the Kalinka optics web sight I see that they market the PK-A Venezuela sight, it appears to sit fairly low and centered which should allow for a good cheek weld. How would this sight compare to others in regards to optical clarity, dot resolution (I've owned some sights where the dot wasn't very crisp), durability, battery life and basic quality of construction. My other option I'm considering is a Midwest industries mount topped with a 1-4 optic.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I like it; I have one that sits very nicely above the top cover. I was hoping for more with the dot as in the brighter settings it starbursts a bit but if kept at a low power its dot reminds me of an AIMPOINT T1. I've had it on since I bought it well over a month ago and no problems. Think I might replace the battery once a month or so... I'll give it a thumbs up.

Reactions: nexus/mk.7

·
Registered
460 Posts
I love mine. I have two of them. They mount low, and are centered over the bore. You can see your rifles iron sights in the lower portion of the sight. Battery life is exceptional!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I also have a few of these.
Battery life + durability = makes up for the bit of extra weight.
Plus they take AA Batteries!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't know what you all are talking about these sights are junk!! You don't want one these sights it is a waste of money. Plus if you don't buy one that means that there is one more on the market for me to buy.:rolleyes: No all joking aside these are a great sight and probably the best of the PK-A series the only real down fall is they didn't make enough. What is on the open market is left overs from a military contract and when they are sold that is it NO MORE unless there is another order put in from some country. I doubt that will ever happen.

·
Registered
631 Posts
How reliably to these optics co-witness with the iron sights? Do they co-witness with the rear sight leaf on lower settings like 100 meters, or does the leaf have to be set to a higher elevation for proper co-witness? I have been toying with the idea of tracking one of these down and mounting it on my Arsenal SAM7SF.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I did much research on these sights a couple years back and they co-witness on any iron sight setting but since they are on quick release mounts, it makes no difference, you just jettison the whole thing if it fails.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
You'd need to run it at 300m setting IMO. I don't see the need for a cowitness though so no YMMV.

Reactions: Tantal

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have thought about what you guys have said, and the lack of importance of a clear co-witness makes sense given the quick detach nature of these mounts (I am too accustomed to thinking of what I have mounted on my AR-15 and M1A). I recently placed an order for a Venezuelan PK-A, and I look forward to being able to try it out after it arrives.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Update: My PK-A arrived today , and it was initially rather loose when I mounted it on the SAM7SF. I was a bit baffled at first (you can see I am new to Russian optics by this alone), but after looking at the optic for some time, I found out that the mount's tension can be adjusted by removing that small plate on the bottom and using it as a tool to adjust the screw on which the lever is mounted. The mount fits tightly on my SAM7SF, yet is still easily removed via the lever.

I haven't looked at the sight extensively, but I have noticed the dot does not appear on some of the settings. Is this because those are the night vision settings? Furthermore, the dot doesn't seem to be as sharp as I was expecting it to be. Admittedly, I wasn't looking extensively at it, and the light conditions weren't that great.

Interestingly, there is a good co-witness with the iron sights in spite of my rear leaf being on the lowest setting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts