AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been gradually building up my few remaining AK rifles (I sold off most of my kit guns over the years) and turning them into the guns I want to keep for the long haul. I've got a classic milled receiver SAM-7 with laminate furniture, a couple of fixed stock AK-74's and my modern AK, an SBR'd SLR-107CR. My idea was to turn this last into the "modern" AK. I purchased a Wolverine PBS-1 for shooting things quiet...er. Still waiting on that one. I also like to shoot at night, so I got a Zenitco PERST-4+. Lastly, the AK style rifles have always been improved in my experience by the addition of some sort of quality optic.

I wanted something that was more modern than the Kobra I had back in the day with its solid 40 hours of battery life on hard to find lithium batteries. Ideally, something that was actually issued and not too expensive.

Which brought me to the PK-01VS. According to testing, battery life is in the range of 4000 hours with common AA's, though there is some disputation as to how well the sight handles temperature variations. It was in my 120 degree car for about an hour and it seems to be fine. More testing on that over time.

In any case, it showed up very quickly, shipped from Amazon within 4 days.

It came with the simple accessories shown, airsoft grade case, a screwdriver for the sight adjustment as well as setting the tension on the mounting clamp.
, sunshade, and useless russian manual. No battery included. There were no defects in the sight that I could see. The windage and elevation clicks are distinct and positive. The adjustments on the brightness rheostat are also positive clicks. There are zero's on both sides so you can turn the sight on and off. And there is a night vision setting, though it would be very difficult to line up a goggle with the rear aperture of this sight and there's no way to clamp on something like a PVS-14 that I can tell. The battery compartment has an o-ring seal, so I would expect some degree of water resistance.

The sight installed on my rifle just fine, with a little front to rear shake. I made a single tension adjustment so that I could lock it in place with no wobble, plus a little more and it was done. I then performed the procedure of moving the red dot on top of my already zero'd iron sights for initial battle sight zero.
Incidentally, this sight fits perfectly in my M60 MG barrel bag, which I used to transport my SLR-107CR around. The whole kit, magazine, folded rifle, sight and silencer should fit perfectly in this same bag. Irrelevant, but I like it.

I zero'd at 50 yards. The mechanical zero procedure worked well and got me on paper. I made a single adjustment for elevation and windage, using what I estimated to be 1/2 MOA clicks. This worked and brought me into the zone the first time.

I spent the next hour or so, blasting away, taking the sight on and off and testing the sight's retention of zero. I didn't notice any zero shift. I was using the Yugoslavian 1970's ammo, which isn't the tightest shooting stuff for me anyway. The sight definetly improves my ability to shoot quickly and accurately over the iron sights on this shorty.

Overall, I'd say this sight is a go. It's lighter than many of the other options and is more "legit' than say an RS regulate mount with a trijicon. I like the ability to use common batteries. There is no problem with the dot. It was visible in bright daylight against every background. Moving indoors, there was plenty of adjustment range on the low side as well. Time will tell how tough it turns out to be. I will update this thread when I have more feedback.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Brighter? The one I have is very bright. Have you tried different batteries?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I tried multiple batteries. Most of the time they are fine, dot washes out a little when it's really bright out. 98% they are fine.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I tried multiple batteries. Most of the time they are fine, dot washes out a little when it's really bright out. 98% they are fine.
Very strange as I have used mine outside when it is very bright and have no problem distinguishing it. Even side-by-side with an Aimpoint at the highest setting is just as bright if not brighter. May be you mean it needs an additional intermediate brightness setting? Each jump is pretty big. I've pretty much settled on "5" for indoors and outdoors.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a great bag for your things and backpacks have been a staple for many people who love the outdoors. You can use it to pack your things and go for a hike, travel, camping or climbing a mountain. So if you’re of the extreme kind, then the best tactical backpack should be considered. Check this out to learn more and know how great their products are.

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
I'm generally pleased with mine and like the overall quality and especially the low co-witness profile, but have two significant complaints. The rotary switch on mine is sloppy and imprecise - lots of play within each vague click, seems fragile, which is not a good thing... Brightness settings on the dial go 1-7 in white and the "K" in red. In the bright desert, 7 is often too dim, but in every situation, K is too bright - causing the dot to multiply in size with blurred edges - so there is way too big of a jump in brightness between the highest two settings.

Do others with PK-01-named scopes notice these issues? Possibly not, because the specs of these Russian/Belarus scopes seem to shift constantly. External appearances change and I suspect the internal designs and components do too. "PK-01" is engraved and filled in while on mine, cast into the body on yours. Difficult to rely on reviews because there seem to be multiple versions under the same scope name.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts