AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was trying to barrel my ORF receiver today.

When I inserted the piston stop, I could see the bottom of it protruding into the barrel opening in the receiver and forming quite a visible step. (I tried to gently press the piston stop into its groove with a visegrip - it would not budge). I placed some anti-seize on the barrel and it slid in under hand pressure up to the piston stop and then hung up.

With the piston stop out, I can put the barrel all the way in by hand!

With my caliper, the barrel opening in the receiver is~ 0.824. The barrel is 0.8245.

What's up? Is my receiver barrel opening cut wrong? Why won't the piston stop go in all the way? Is that because the barrel opening is cut too large and the stop has nowhere to go?

Thanks,

JJS

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's fairly typical to have to file the gas piston stop to get it to fit in an ORF receiver.

If you can push in your barrel by hand, you have a serious problem, and need to either contact ORF, or find someone to swap barrels with, or search on this board to see what some people have done to fix the problem. Just whatever you do, don't shoot it if the barrel is a hand-fit.

There's been quite a lot of talk about barrels being too loose, so do some searching over in the ORF vendor section....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"don't shoot it if the barrel is a hand-fit"

Ditto several times.... STOP. Your life is worth far more than a build. ORF makes fine receivers - but a number of folks have noticed that Czech barrel diameters appear to WILDLY fluctuate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I called ORF and they said to send the receiver and barrel and piston stop to them.

Thanks again.

JJS

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here is a link where rbtn... posted a pick of what the piston stop should look like after it is ground down.
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63189

Yes, your barrel is smaller that the receiver hole. It should be a real tight press fit. Call ORF.

Also, all of this was covered in other threads eithere here, or in the ORF thread. I would definately suggest a LOT of research into the things that have been going on. This will help you tremendously. I think I spent a month reading and a few days building.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts