AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I may be in the market for a high-value pistol mounted light soon.
Any recommendations?

Talk about what to get, where to get it, current specials, etc.

Go!:)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Been using the X300 Ultra lights now for a while... i really like them.

But with Shot Show so soon around the corner you may want to wait a bit and see if any new products are introduced.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
There are many to choose from..Lumens and battery replacement costs are some of the main factors IMO.
I just have a good old Glock light mounted on my G17.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Streamlight TLR-3 (no laser) or TLR-4 (laser). Can be had for $75 or $100 respectively. I just don't see how the ones that cost 3 or 4 times as much are possibly 3 or 4 times better.

Keep in mind what environments and distances you will realistically be in when shooting a pistol before you buy an ultra-powerful light. It will blind you just as much as the bad guy in an enclosed space with white walls if you overdo it on the lumens.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had an X300 for several years now and I would like to get away from that crappy plastic clamp design.
It wouldn't be so bad except that Surefire supports every replacement part for these lights except the crappy plastic rails that broke on mine.

Since I'm in the market for something else at the moment, I figured I'd experiment with something that has a wider spill.
I'm tired of drinking the hotspot koolaid; if I need to shoot instinctively, it will literally be point and shoot, and I probably won't even have time to turn on a light at all, much less use the hotspot as an "aiming" feature.

I forgot all about Shot Show. You guys be sure and give me a heads up if something interesting comes out.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The streamlight TLR's are really well made and rugged as hell. I have a TRL4 model on my bedside gun that I have beat the crap out of and it just keeps working. The laser dot makes it the perfect low light/no light attachment.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The streamlight TLR's are really well made and rugged as hell. I have a TRL4 model on my bedside gun that I have beat the crap out of and it just keeps working. The laser dot makes it the perfect low light/no light attachment.
+1

I have two of the TLR-1S models and they are indeed rugged as hell. I've had them mounted pistols and rifles with no problems. The TLR-1 "clamp" is metal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts