AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what makes it a "pistol" as opposed to a "rifle" ???

If the kit is from a "rifle" then how can it be made into a "pistol" ???

·
Registered
431 Posts
Apache said:

A pistol is not set up to have a stock.

What matters in the US is the fact that the receiver is registered as a pistol/is a virgin (never built on) receiver.

·
Registered
136 Posts
magnus392 said:
Apache said:

A pistol is not set up to have a stock.

What matters in the US is the fact that the receiver is registered as a pistol/is a virgin (never built on) receiver.
By that do you mean that when purchasing the reciver from a dealer or other that you must specify pistol?

I am hearing conflicting info on this.

I agree with the virgin reciever comment.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize there are registered pistol receivers and rifle receivers but what about building a pistol from a flat? Would all that needs to be done is weld a plate on the rear like a pistol receiver?

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
It doesn't need to be welded just rivited will be fine. I've seen some builders just cut the stock and rear portion of the tang off (something I would not do). That could still be in a gray area because it can still take a stock. They actually make dedicated pistol trunions or use an underfolder without the holes cut. Or cut the tang off a fixed stock weld a piece to it and rivit the thing in

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Don't confuse yourself with that 'registered' word. We don't have that here yet, except in some states.

The law says to build a pistol the receiver can not have first been built into a rifle. So, any new manufactured or home made receiver meets that criteria.

In order to help document the fact that you are building on a new receiver, some people like to put on the 4473 that it is a 'pistol'... but that is not a requirement. It is also not a requirement to 'prevent' the installation of a stock or folding stock, as long as you don't put a stock on a pistol. Some people like to engrave 'pistol' on the receiver, but that's not a requirement either.

Where it gets really stupid is that once it's been built into a pistol, you can convert it into a rifle, and then back into a pistol (you can thank Thompson/Center for that one). Of course, with an AK that's hard to do, but with an AR it's easy.

There are a bunch of letters from the ATF out there on building pistols. Do some searching, and you should find what you need.

Make sure you check your state laws, they may be different. ..and I may be full of shit, so do your own research.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I would make very sure that you are not violating a state law by building a pistol. Many states regulate pistols more closely than rifles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts