AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[HR][/HR]I could not believe it
At couple of videos were very interesting, I was like wow how cool hammer forged barrels...

When I watch the fifth video, I could not believe my eyes. Really? Really?

Pioneer Arms Corp

Did I had it wrong all this time??? I thought that was a very big no no !!!

Never the less, they do have some interesting vids, enjoy.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
wow!! I never thought I would see that!

·
Super Moderator
12,276 Posts
wow, that's absolutely amazing. I guess I wont be buying anymore polish rifles.

and on an added note:
TulaAKM you have been banned 2 or 3 times now. this will be the 4th I believe. you didn't get that Tree Of Woe avatar for no reason. just because the board changed didn't give you a reason to come back. we always watch. we always check. we always try to be aware, but some slip through the cracks.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Very surprising, I did not see any procedure dimpling any of the rivet holes, the rivet must do it itself. I just wonder how well the rivet forms like that against the chamber area ? All that barrel pulling work I did at home was unnecessary, wish I new that back then........

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This is kinda mind blowing for me. why doesn't the rivet shank expand outside of the receiver instead of being pushed in neatly and expanding only after the head of the rivet is flush with the receiver?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess I never considered that IO's rifles were being made in another arms factory in Radom Poland. Those crafty bastards... :p

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ah HAH! I have been vindicated....one of my first posts on this site was regarding the fact that my AMD kit upon de-milling had rivets that looked like they had been pressed in with the barrel installed as they were flared and had radiuses matching the barrel on the inside of the trunnion.

I was Phoo-Phooed and ridiculed and all but tarred and feathered and ran out on a rail for suggesting such a thing.....can't work, won't work...young whippersnapper with your dumb ideas.. cry's of heretic!! Apostate!! Polluter of the truth! STONE HIM!! STONE HIM!! still ringing in my ears

NaNa-Nana-Nana :shakeit:

I may have had the technique wrong but the manner and order of assembly correct.....

I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!!!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm not so sure that because some jokers in a shop in Poland buck rivets on the barrel, that your AMD was made the same way.

Here is a video of the "real" Radom arms factory:

It's quite a different place.

YouTube Link not working^^^^

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Got the link to work by copy/paste. Looks like just showing a couple CNC machining units.

If I recall correctly I thought I read that the original Radom plant went into bankruptcy and it is being restructured. I bet money the Pioneer Arms Corp. is a populated with ex Radom employees and uses a lot of the same build methods....not to much of a half assed shop if those are their hammer forge barrel making machines...those are a bit spendy.

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
Several companies in the USA., much to the dismay of some folks., used the barrel in the receiver as a bucking plate and riveted in that fashion. Likely., if you have the correct length rivet and pressure it is a workable alternative. But full two-side compression is the accepted method AFAIK.
But then who woulda though barrel component dimpling would become an assembly method either?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
So are there any reports of rifles built this way failing?
What about the rivets themselves? Are they the correct metal composition?
Is this a liability at all? or would these weapons perform just as good as the ones manufactured using the two-side compression method?

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are no known reports of any problems with the front trunnion rivets in the Polish "Pioneer Arms Corp" made "Hellpup" pistols or their "Sporter" AKM rifles. I've only fired a few hundred rounds through my Hellpup, but it's tight and solid, and I have never had a single problem with it. The rivers appear to be of high quality metal.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wow great find! I love videos of high volume AK production facilities - the use of fixtures and jigs is very interesting.

Yup, love the barrel-bucked riveting. Amateurs! :(

-Thirtycal

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I built several rifles like that, mostly because of the AGI video I had showed the rivetting being done like that. But I never had any issues with those rifles. Theyve all been sold off for parts by now. My last builds I rivetted the trunnion in first. Cool videos though.

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
If you have an oversized trunion, it would solve the problem of fitting a loose barrel, yukedy, yuk! I prefer using my bolt cutter rivet tool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts