AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine ran into someone who had a shop years ago and we both had put deposits down on a couple of rifles. I had the FN-49, The business was subsequently sold right after that but my friend knew the owner who had set the rifles aside for us but we had never been able to catch up to each other again in the meantime. Yesterday he says he got a call out of the blue from the shop owner who just wanted to gift us the rifles !!! So I got it for whatever my initial deposit was (maybe $20 IIRC).

It's one of the century rebuild with the plastic buttplate and the "D" prefix serial number, looks like Egyptian with Arabic sight markings and the eagle crest on the receiver along with more Arabic writing. Bore looks great and there is no wear on the inner components, cal. is 8mm. Pics to follow after my old floppy disc camera charges up :cool:.

Anyone know where to find a replacement receiver topcover since this one is pitted a bit on one side ?? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
Numrich Gun Parts might have another top cover, but be aware that the rifle you have was imported as a barreled receiver, and the balance of parts to include the top cover are likely from a Luxemburg contract meant for .30 Cal.

Egyptian 49s with the Eagle of Saladin are still collectable in their own right because there are around 1500 or so. You will not be able to load 8mm in stripper clips with your top cover, but other than that, it should work fine once you adjust the gas system.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Numrich Gun Parts might have another top cover, but be aware that the rifle you have was imported as a barreled receiver, and the balance of parts to include the top cover are likely from a Luxemburg contract meant for .30 Cal.

Egyptian 49s with the Eagle of Saladin are still collectable in their own right because there are around 1500 or so. You will not be able to load 8mm in stripper clips with your top cover, but other than that, it should work fine once you adjust the gas system.
The receiver has an Egyptian marking to the left of the eagle crest on the receiver as what appears to be the same marking on the right side of the topcover. So now I'm a bit confused LOL. I checked for SAFN 49 using the search and pulled up your thread on the one you had and the markings appear to be the same especially the markings on the left side of the topcover, also the rear sight leaf is marked in Arabic.

I checked the usual spots for a replacement topcover but didn't have any luck.....Let me get some pics up.....

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
It looks like your top cover is a real deal Egyptian! I'd be keeping that one for sure.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks, I don't know what origin the bolt and bolt carrier are since neither seem to have any markings and appear new. I was thinking of trying to repair the topcover pitting using JB Weld to fill in the pitting and scraping it off with a razor blade before it dries, then paint to match the rest of the rifle.

ETA: It also has the two piece FP but not the FP stop built into the bolt.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
Check the extractor as they are usually marked with the calendar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts