AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
nice, thats the best pic of the top of the dust cover hinge ive seen.
interesting how they have it outfitted.

·
Registered
477 Posts
nice, thats the best pic of the top of the dust cover hinge ive seen.
interesting how they have it outfitted.
Was thinking the same thing to myself the other day. Also too bad they starting modding the gun. Cutting the top cover like that. I am still convinced that the hinge for the top cover is dove tailed into the front trunnion. Unless it is possibly incorporated into the barrel pin to somehow secure it???

Also looks like the back of the gas tube sets on top of the front trunnion as well??

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
thats an interesting idea. i had heard maybe the trunnion and hinge block were integral.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The trunnion / hinge block are two pieces for sure. Would be nice to see under the handguards.

What did they do to the top cover?

Was thinking the same thing to myself the other day. Also too bad they starting modding the gun. Cutting the top cover like that. I am still convinced that the hinge for the top cover is dove tailed into the front trunnion. Unless it is possibly incorporated into the barrel pin to somehow secure it???

Also looks like the back of the gas tube sets on top of the front trunnion as well??

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Ptica,

thank you you so much for these photos! Is there any way you can find more of the top cover hinge block assembly?

thanks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
The trunnion / hinge block are two pieces for sure. Would be nice to see under the handguards.

What did they do to the top cover?
It looks like somebody chopped the "ears" of the rear site to allow the rail to clear. They were a little taller and some had a triangular shape to them, while others had a little bit more rounded shape to them. Check out some of the pics in the other thread "paper dolls".

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wonder if they made the trunnion in a way that the hinge block could also be held in place with the barrel pin
I have wondered the same. But in order for it to be pinned down into place, it would have to have material under the barrel pin. But that is where the barrel is secured. Maybe on the sides, but even that would be tight.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
i wish we could get to the bottom of this. have a couple projects coming up to clone one.
the next year izzy krinks were one piece. slightly larger hinge block that stuck ahead of the trunnion.
this one is like 76-8 range, the 76 having the tubular triangle stock.
this one sure does look to be 2 piece though.
the saiga shotguns are welded but i never saw anything else they did by welding other than spot welds.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i wish we could get to the bottom of this. have a couple projects coming up to clone one.
the next year izzy krinks were one piece. slightly larger hinge block that stuck ahead of the trunnion.
this one is like 76-8 range, the 76 having the tubular triangle stock.
this one sure does look to be 2 piece though.
the saiga shotguns are welded but i never saw anything else they did by welding other than spot welds.
A spot welded piece certainly would solve some problems that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
rear hinge block is almost the same as any other krink .. just shorter to fit a longer top hand guard... its going to connect around the barrel the same way basically..

Have you examined one and know this for sure or are you speculating? I ask due to activly trying to duplicate one for a future build. I have tried to cut down a trunnion and a hinge block to replicate this and it doesnt leave much metal between the barrel band and the rest of the hige block. Any actual knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have you examined one and know this for sure or are you speculating? I ask due to activly trying to duplicate one for a future build. I have tried to cut down a trunnion and a hinge block to replicate this and it doesnt leave much metal between the barrel band and the rest of the hige block. Any actual knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
speculating..... and the more I look at it I see what you mean... would you be able to send me some pictures of the rear hinge block you cut ? I can send you my phone number ...

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Ill try to post pics later

1 - 20 of 27 Posts