AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to post these questions for awhile.

#1 - What are you using for indoor lighting - Bulbs etc. I know a trick exists, but what?

#2 - any special settings you turn your digital camera on?

#3 - Best Background for these shots?

My thoughts for shooting pics of rifles would be to suspend them from the ceiling with some sort of high strength musky line. Then have a nice background behind and below the rifle. I would like to know about the damn bulbs though. I would assume I would need to hit them with light from the right, left, below, top?

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Well,lets just track Stickman down! :grin:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yeah I was going to say that.......but I don't know which one of you guys is in charge of invitations..

I know he does have at least a MAADI he takes pics of.......real good ones too, remember those in the pic thread? He has alot of militaria to go with it

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can do pretty good handgun pics indoors, but I almost always have to do rifle pics outside. Nothing seems to work as well as indirect natural sunlight.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1Gunner said:
Stickman once posted a great tutorial, I'll see if I can track it down
Please do. We'll find a place to make it a sticky over here if he's ok with it. I've seen his work. Very talented with a camera.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Stickman should be along shortly!

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I have learned (and still not 100% there yet) the hard way...Basically, its a major PITA.. If you can take the guns outside, do it..

Inside, you will probably have to get an expensive camera that will let you do everything manualy.

Normally, standard light bulbs will not be bright enough to illuminate everything and eliminate shadows. You will have to get high energy photo bulbs. This kind of causes a problem, as they create allot of heat, and may melt any plastic parts in your light sockets. You also have to adjust the light balance in your camera to match the color temp in your bulbs.

This pic, was

was taken with three 500w bulbs about 18" above the guns, and 18 inches away., at the 10, 2 and 6 oclock. Its one of my firsts, so not that great.

Compare that with this one-

Which was taken outside witha normal point and shoot camera.

Here is another lighting set up that I used; Basically some Ikea desk lamps that I modified with porcelain light sockets (melted the plastic ones by mistake).. It workes ok, but brings up another problem with bright ass light bulbs.. Glare.. AKs and other black rifles are kind of glossy and reflect some of the light.

Finally, here is what I use now.. 3 500w photo bulbs, and a soft light tent (basically a fabric tent to defust/soften the light.)....They come out allot better this way-

The downside is that the pictures require a long exposure, so I have to use a tripod.. Kind of pain for some shots.

I am still not 100% happy with the results... Getting there though.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 500w photo bulbs, and a soft light tent (basically a fabric tent to defust/soften the light.)....

Rob, where did you track these items down? What the heck is soft light tent? Snap a pic of it for me :grin:

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
The light tent, info can be found here-
http://www.ezcube.com/

THe high powered light bulbs can be found at any well stocked photo shop.

This are the ways I use, they are far from from perfect. Hopefully others can give more input.

No, not my MP44..It was in the collection of a museum in Belguim.. THey had about 20, some still with capture tags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts