AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
I saw the story. Probably just a cheap 22LR or short revolver. That phone wouldn't have taken much else. I bet a .25 ACP would have gone through.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I was thinking maybe a 32 or a 38S&W. After seeing what a 38 fmj out of a 4 in barrel from 20 ft does, or rather doesnt do, to a laptop hardrive (about same size as a phone) I wouldnt be surprised if it was a 38 snubby

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Can anybody identify the phone pictured in that article?
I've been looking for something to stick in the side pockets of my chest rig.
Might see if I can rig up something to cover my groin as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
In the article I read, it mentioned it being a HTC but that's a brand/manufacturer so not sure which specific phone. In the pictures, the battery appeared to have captured the the bullet and the entry hole looks small:
Gas station clerk survives shooting during armed robbery, cellphone stopped bullet

I wonder if the lithium-ion polymer batteries have similar characteristics with projectiles as those polyethylene armor plates do.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Even full powered .22lr out of a pistol barrel is pretty limp. I've shot a fair amount of CCI Quiet ammo through my 22/45 with a 4.5" barrel and it's only a little more powerful than a pellet rifle. I'm not too surprised, the person was lucky it wasn't a centerfire caliber.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Shooting CCI Subsonic 40 gr (not CCI Quiet) out of a 4.5" Ruger 22/45 with a can, I packed a box full of brochures my wife forgot to toss out at work and fired 10 rnds into them. The bullets all penetrated approx. 3-4". That's not ideal for self defense, but still enough energy to go through a cell phone or hard drive (done both). I think it was probably a matter of a grazing shot and the store clerk being one lucky SOB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts