AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, is it realistic, although weird? I see everybody stocking up on rice... seems like dry cat or dog food would have more nutrients, and especially protein, and it doesn't have to be cooked. Look at the nutritional information for a typical brand:

That's got to be better than an ass-load of rice. I realize it's a strange thought, but is there a scientific/medical reason it's strange, or is it just a preconception as in "pet food is icky"? I have two medium to large dogs and a single 50 pound bag will last them like 3 weeks, and there's no cooking involved. Seems like it might be alot more efficient.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
all pet food is required by FDA to be safe for human consumption. but its different preparing for the survival by stocking up on foods vs finding whatever foods wherever.
i enjoy cooking and i can do a lot with blank products such pasta, rice, beans, flour, sugar and things i can grow/catch in my backyard. not sure you can do this with cat/dog food.
one thing for sure, if you go this route you won't have problem going through your supplies too fast, lol.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Dog biscuits go better if you soften them up in some bacon grease first. Plus the grease is high in calories which is why you want to save it every time you cook some bacon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My cat eats Fancy Feast Tender Turkey Tuscany, so it looks like I'll be going to Olive Garden during the apocalypse!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The three food groups are Salt, Sugar, and Fat. At least the three major taste enhancers, Dog biscuits taste better in bacon fat because you have changed the texture and added a taste enhancer

I have indeed made a meal of dry dog food I got indigestion from it, tasted bad and was unappealing to me.

I now have some real food, stew, and rice, MRE's for my soft-core survival needs

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
If it was a survival situation, and pet food was on hand, as said: it's survival. As far as preparing though, most 'human' foods are probably cheaper than pet foods.

·
Registered
147 Posts
We were having a few upstairs in my game room last fall when my retired NFL friend grabs a gallon size tub of dog treats, and starts munching. So I offer some pork rinds, No thanks.
Hey man I got all kinds of different snacks here, if you would like some people food.
That brought a confused look, uhhhh what am I eating? Those are dog treats. Ok, I thought they tasted kinda stale.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We were having a few upstairs in my game room last fall when my retired NFL friend grabs a gallon size tub of dog treats, and starts munching. So I offer some pork rinds, No thanks.
Hey man I got all kinds of different snacks here, if you would like some people food.
That brought a confused look, uhhhh what am I eating? Those are dog treats. Ok, I thought they tasted kinda stale.
My brother did this with a big jar of Pup-corn,,,,,FAF!

·
Technical Advisor
16,094 Posts
This reminds me of the joke about eating dog food.
Two women were talking about the price of food and the weekly shopping.

One of the women said she devised a plan to shop less and save money.

She started to feed her husband dog food., long term storage, cheaper cost and often just add water for preparation etc.

The other woman asked., but did your husband like the dog food and not complain.

No problem, said the lady who was serving the dog food to her husband.
He loved it and complimented me on the food flavor., until his untimely death.

Oh my., said the other woman., did the dog food affect his health and cause his death.

No., said the other woman., he was sitting in the driveway licking his balls and I didn't see him as I was backing out the SUV and ran over him in the driveway and he died.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts