AK Rifles banner
741 - 760 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just picked up another Yugo M72B1 but this one is a Carbine version. Barrel is 16-1/4" and no Bipod. Everything else is the same. I showed it to the wife and asked her if she wanted one before I ordered it. She said no they are really heavy. Yes she is right about that but none the less she just handled it and said I want one. Of course they are sold out so now I have to wait. Anyway its called the "Choppa". Get to the CHOPPA. As Arnold said in Predator. Anyway here it is with its taller brothers. I also found a bunch of M67 Ammo. Gonna shoot the ammo and see how it does. Im gonna go back and buy everything up if its good.

IMG_4155.jpg IMG_4151.jpg

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just picked up another Yugo M72B but this one is a Carbine version. Barrel is 16-1/4" and no Bipod. Everything else is the same. I showed it to the wife and asked her if she wanted one before I ordered it. She said no they are really heavy. Yes she is right about that but none the less she just handled it and said I want one. Of course they are sold out so now I have to wait.
You mean you didn't just order two from the start? Better hope she doesn't use the "Choppa" while your sleeping!
I hope you don't have to wait too long for another.
That is a pretty cool looking rifle, I almost bought the last one!

Reactions: Bad Comapny

·
Registered
193 Posts
They come out every few months. Its lighter and definitely more handy than the RPKs (up front as the barrels is shorter and no bipod) but they weigh as much as a Garand. In the mean time I will get my first build under my belt then the wife can build her own. These builds will definitely be a lot lighter. Im sure she will change her mind...... But Yah Im still going to get another Carbine M72B1. They would last a lifetime! So over built and that barrel is MASSIVE compared to any AK I've seen. Love those cooling fins. I think I will put a Ultimak and a Red Dot T2 on both if possible.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
I was going to do a M72 carbine but that kit became one of Tim’s DMR rifles instead. Still have one M72 kit left, still thinking about doing a carbine. Toying with the idea of retaining a compact bipod by shortening the legs by the same amount as the barrel. It’s been done before, kind of cool.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I built a shortened M72AB1 type Zastava RPK.
The "Beast Mode".
Milled receiver , underfolder, RPK fluted barrel

This is very nice!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I built a shortened M72AB1 type Zastava RPK.
The "Beast Mode".
Milled receiver , underfolder, RPK fluted barrel

And it's big brother>>>

What kind of finish did you use to get those results on the receiver. That certainly isn’t just oxpho blue. How do I do that?

·
Technical Advisor
16,189 Posts
On this build I used baked Appliance Epoxy.

On some milled receiver builds I used Caswell Black finish.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Grip looks funny, can you paint it to look like wood? :rolleyes:

How does it shoot?
It comes with a wood grip that I may eventually put back on, the hogue grip may look strange however I am willing to sacrifice that for the control it offers.
It shoots like a dream, flawless and accurate.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Let me try to post up pictures of my recent build. Photobucket will probably ruin it with their stupid logo but whatever. Disclaimer, rivets aren’t pretty as well as some other stuff but that’s not easily seen from pics.

I got this as partial kit without trigger guard, and rear parts a long time back. Over time accumulated the rest of the parts. Most are M92 parts from what I was told if I remember correctly, including virgin trigger guard components that sucked to be put together. The rear trunnion is a repro turbothis made. Don’t think I had the locking nut for the receiver cover. Might try to get one at a later time if I find one not too expensive. Barrel is an AK builder one. Tried rust bluing it and the nodak receiver but they don’t quite match up completely in hue. Head-spacing was a pita, so was barrel populating but now it’s done. Took it out Sunday to test fire and it seems to run good. Might try to replace the recoil spring and do some other minor tweaks. Stock is definitely not as comfortable to use as the wood Yugo, but I can finally say I built an underfolder too. Struggled with it more than most of you guys would’ve but still proud of making it myself.

·
Registered
455 Posts
20200724_121136.jpg 20200724_121114.jpg 20200724_121301.jpg 20200724_121240.jpg I recently got this M72AB1 built by JRA, I know they have a spotty reputation, but so far. This rifle is good. Probably the more accurate AK I have, the bipod works well and is stable. The rifle has some minor pitting here and there; mainly on the dust cover, but that's no big deal to me. I had this old Witcher sticker on it to make it a little BFPU, but I'm probably going to remove it soon..still not sure on it.

741 - 760 of 790 Posts