AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im here in Pensacola for a few days and was wondering if there were any good gun shops or military surplus type shops around. Any help would be greatful!

THanks,
B

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I can't answer that question, other than to say Google is your friend, but if you're a scuba diver, don't miss the opportunity to dive on the ex-U.S.S. Oriskany. I dove on it a month after it was sunk.

·
Banned
636 Posts
Go see the air museum at NAS Pensacola. All the good gun shops seem to have closed since I was stationed there. I liked shooting at The Gun Connection on W Street, but, alas...no more.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
There's a fairly new surplus store on highway 98 in Pensacola, on the west side of town. Don't remember the name or exact location as i've only seen it once. It's in a house, sitting a ways off the highway. Look for a jeep in the yard.

Not many good black rifle shops in P-cola. Head east on 98, past the Gulf Breeze zoo. You'll see a pawn shop with old cars and boats out front, known as Tradewinds. You can find some real treasures there, but you'll find a trip to club fed just as easily. Be prepared to dig through piles of shit to find good stuff. Be sure to lean over the counter and scan the mountains of shit back there too. I found a plum AK-74 bayonet there that way one time for $25.

Do see the naval museum as well as forts Pickens and Barancas.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The gun shop with the biggest selection is Jays on Garden St. The prices are typical. The surplus store is just down the street from Jays. If you
turmed left out of Jays store, the street becomes Navy Blvd. This is heading toward NAS, where the museum is. The surplus store will be on your right about a half mile down. Hwy 98 is localy known as Navy Blvd
and Garden street towards downtown. On the map it may be business 98.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Go see the air museum at NAS Pensacola
+1 on NAS museum! I'm only about 45 mins W of PNS; wish I could get off work and help you find some of these places. :neutral:

·
Banned
636 Posts
If you have time, be sure to check out Flounders and McGuire's. Flounders is a cool beach/island type seafood restaurant that's right on the water. McGuire's is famous for it's Irish style and everyone there personalizes a dollar bill and staples it somewhere (walls, ceiling, fans, etc). Fun live music, too, and you just might have to kiss the ass...or the moose. Be careful when going to the bathroom! Fun place to hang out when I was in flight school in P-cola. Then there's Seville Quarter, which was pretty cool, too, and it has a Rosie O'Grady's. Don't know how it is now, but Trader Jon's was a bar dedicated entirely to Naval Aviation with lots of memorabilia. I have a flight suit hanging up there. Years ago, it sort of turned into a dive biker bar, but a Navy LT bought the place when Trader died, so maybe he turned it around. That place was a legend and was rumored that every flight student in P-cola had been there at least once.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Trader Jons is closed. It has been for a while. The memorablia displayed,
and stored next door were "donated" to the NAS museum. No peice of it has been seen since then by the public. I expect the collection disposition
to be challenged down the line by heirs as supposedly the terms were that it would be availible for public enjoyment. The one of a kind airplane
models would be a display worth the trip alone.

·
Banned
636 Posts
Aw damn, sorry to hear that. That place was a piece of history. It would be cool if the museum replicated Traders like they did with all the stuff from the Subic Bay O'club in the Philippines and turned it into a restaurant.

I wonder why it didn't stay open after the Navy LT bought it. You'd think the city of Pensacola would do something since it's tagged as a historic place, complete with street marker.

Did some searching... Looks like it may have gone under since the Navy has changed it's stance on heavy drinking over the years. Great, now the people who bought the building turned that awesome place into a fucking women's boutique??? :evil:

"The Trader Jon's building was sold for $562,500[4] to Sarah and Walter Brown, who planned to expand their women's boutique Sarah's into the space "

·
Registered
87 Posts
Uber's Lock and Gun (I think it's on Fairfield Drive, or somesuch) had a good selection of C&R stuff last time I was there (2003-ish). Very old-fashioned gun store, made of cinder blocks and often filled with smoke. Not very big, but I always enjoyed going there and looking around.

Mike's Gun Shop on Highway 29 is mostly a hunting outfitter, as I recall.

If you're in Escambia County regularly, there is a membership-only outdoor range just northeast of Cantonment, off of Quintette (sp?) Road. It is run by Escambia River Muzzle Loaders, and was a great place to shoot. Max distance was only 110 yard or so, but it was very informal and if you went on a weekday, you'd often have a range to yourself.

Definitely see the Naval Air Museum; it's well worth it. The beaches are also nice. There's also a nice steak place on W Street, just down from the intersection with Airport Blvd, called Mesquite Charlie's that grills a really good steak.

·
Banned
636 Posts
One thing I miss about Pensacola was the good R/C airplane and helicopter flying and clubs out at Bronson and Spencer Field. I used to fly with Bobe of Bobe's Hobby House before he died. Flew with Tony Stillman who owned Radio South. Wonder if either hobby shop is still there.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You're in Florida looking for a gun dealer....and here I thought I was a gun nut. I'm usualy down by the beach the whole time I'm in Florida :mrgreen:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grim Reaper said:
Go see the air museum at NAS Pensacola
+1 on NAS museum! I'm only about 45 mins W of PNS; wish I could get off work and help you find some of these places. :neutral:
No worries, you gotta make that money to live. I have found a few of the places already, and actually found some cool deals at a GoodWill in Destin lol. I got an airforce vest for 4bucks. I went by Jays guns and it was pretty awesome. They had a few .50 BMGs, and alot of aks and varients. Good times.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dtemplar said:
If you have time, be sure to check out Flounders and McGuire's. Flounders is a cool beach/island type seafood restaurant that's right on the water. McGuire's is famous for it's Irish style and everyone there personalizes a dollar bill and staples it somewhere (walls, ceiling, fans, etc). Fun live music, too, and you just might have to kiss the ass...or the moose. Be careful when going to the bathroom! Fun place to hang out when I was in flight school in P-cola. Then there's Seville Quarter, which was pretty cool, too, and it has a Rosie O'Grady's. Don't know how it is now, but Trader Jon's was a bar dedicated entirely to Naval Aviation with lots of memorabilia. I have a flight suit hanging up there. Years ago, it sort of turned into a dive biker bar, but a Navy LT bought the place when Trader died, so maybe he turned it around. That place was a legend and was rumored that every flight student in P-cola had been there at least once.
A Lady on the beach also told us about mcguires. THe girlfriend and i will def. have to stop by there now! Thanks

·
Banned
636 Posts
If you like fresh seafood and have the means to prepare it, be sure to check out Joe Patti's Seafood Co. That place is legendary, too. It's right near McGuire's on the water, if I remember correctly. If you just want a seafood restaurant, there's a Landry's there and I remember it being good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Please don't go to a dang Landry's on the beach!!! Thats a chain. Go across the bridge to the beach and eat at Flounders. So much better and the girls playing volleyball are worth the price of admission! McGuires is the best though. make sure you get the penny soup. It really is a penny. +1 on being careful when you go to the bathroom. You will see why.

·
Banned
636 Posts
Ah yes... I've made the drunken McGuire's bathroom mistake several times during my flight school days. I've also had to kiss the moose AND the ass more than once. :lol:

As for Landry's, yes it's a chain, but I remember it being pretty good. The one in Corpus Christi, TX was good, too. But, if I had to pick a seafood restaurant, I'm with you and would choose Flounder's. Jubilee's is pretty good, too, and we had several command functions there when I was back for an instructor tour at Whiting Field (HT-8).

·
Registered
320 Posts
McGuires is also in Destin. They brew their own beer. I always have to stop there when visiting the area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts