AK Rifles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What seems that many on here are interested in making a stamped 5.56NATO true form Bulgarian AK, however the parts kits dried up years ago. You can though use some various parts that are easily found to create your own.

AKS-74 M1A1

AK-74 M1A1

The cheapest route would be to secure a complete Bulgarian AK-74 either with folding or fixed based on preference and go from there. Then you will need a good builder; someone who can duplicate factory markings, feed ramp contours, selector lever contours, divets, and can actually do the proper riveting.

Extra parts needed to complete the build:
1.) Bulg 5.56NATO 16" barrel, K-Var
2.) Bulg 7.62/5.56 (same thing) Trunnion Block, K-Var
3.) Bulg 5.56NATO Bullet Feed Ramp Guide, K-Var
4.) Bulg 7.62/5.56 (same thing) Bolt carrier, K-Var
5.) Bulg 5.56 Bolt, K-Var
6.) Bulg Complete Rivet assembly, K-Var
7.) Bulg AKM front sight only if doing Pattern 2, otherwise 74 is ok for pattern 1 but only for folding model as no 74 brake was used on fixed.
8.) Bulg/Russian Grip re-enforcement plate, Tantal
9.) Russ Plum furniture if doing pattern 1 only with 74 brake otherwise keep the black from your 74 kit to be used with AKM.

Things to remember: Internals are 74 pattern, single hook, single divet as seen in this picture, notice as well selector markings are not the same as Russian. Notice the single trigger hump, single arm slot, as well as slight feed ramp in front of magazine and indentation around the selector lever, double circle code "10" is on reverse of trunnion followed by serial number.

Finally get one good Bulgy waffle 5.56Mag, I have tons however I also have tons of 74 mags converted with Robar arms followers to be used with 5.56- they work flawlessly. Hope this helps guys considering that every com bloc country is doing away with 5.45 and going to 5.56 anyway hence the reason Bulgaria is dumping all their 5.45 surplus on the US market anyway and not selling as much of their 5.56 if any- so if you think ammo is hard to find now waite another five years.

Type 1 pattern AKS-74M1A1 for reference as well. I can also get more close ups if you guys need any of various parts or more details. Feel free to ask.

Oh yah for the AR guys, these properly built are every bit as accurate since it's just how close you set the headspace. My 5.56 Bulgy does every bit the same using the same ammo as my LMT. Easily a 1MOA rifle, sub MOA with optics.

Bryant :razz:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thank You for the info! :hail:

Now my biggest question is 'WHY' won't Arsenal do this? To me they are missing the boat BIG time by not doing it. Sure 7.62 may sell, but in my humble opinion a good stamped 223 would sell here in the US even better. It is almost like they are saying 'take it or leave it'. This is the main reason I decided they can keep their SAM-5. I can live with just another SAR-3. It may not be Bulgarian, but it works and is a hell of alot cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I have one of the old K-VAR solid stock 5.56mm kits that's been laying around for years. Now I just need to get the front 7.62mm trunion & 5.56mm bullet guide, Tantal's grip reinforcement piece and a stamped receiver. Now where on earth do I go for the receiver?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I always wanted to do a build with a Saiga in 223 that is similar to this..
I just wondered if it's possible to convert the polish steel 5.45 mags to feed 223 into a Saiga?

HK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts