AK-105 SBR built by Ken Kubin @ http://www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com

Arsenal SLR-105 base gun
Bulgarian combo FS/GB and "beercan" FH
Izhmash AK-100 series poly sidefolder
Gunkote finish

and he even shortened the cleaning rod! :wink:

See less See more
#5 ·
nice,.. i wonder how much to cut down and re-crown my barrel will cost?
what kind of crown did he put on it?,...how is your accuracy? how long did it take?

ETA: my AK-105 is going to be the same thing,...but i am useing a AKS-74 kit from ORF as the starting point,. i have the Russian 100 series stock here already,. i just need to get the barrel chopped down,. crowed,.. with the combo sight / gas block installed,...and of course the SBR stamp so i can put it all on a DCI reciver once they come out.

thats cool he chopped down the cleaning rods as well,...i need two cleaning rods shortened for my 104 and my 105 builds.

#6 ·
cruzie27 said:
what kind of crown did he put on it?,...how is your accuracy? how long did it take?

He put a nice 11-deg. target crown on it, LOL. I told him it would probably be the most accurate little bullet hose I've ever laid hands on! :wink: Won't know for sure until I shoot it this weekend, though.

Turnaround time was right at 9 weeks, door to door. And that included sending the receiver out to be engraved, and refinishing.

#8 ·
shooter521 said:
Do my eyes fool me or is that a true black Izh mfg 30 rnd mag? Or is that just a really dark flat plum mag and the lighting makes it looks black? Very very sweet looking 105. If SBRs and folding stocks were even allowed in CT, who hates AKs, Id have my SLR-105 turnes into a AK-105 style. The only reason CT allows the SLR is that its not 7.62x39. It just made it by being 5.45. All AK style rifles in 7.62x39 are banned here. Even the 7.62x39 Saiga and Vepr. The only AKs ive ever seen here are the SLR-105, SA-M5 and the Rommy 5.56 rifles, and all with no balls (lugs, threads etc.).

Anyways now that Ive depressed my self with all that, nice rifle.

#12 ·
mohawkALSE said:
Do my eyes fool me or is that a true black Izh mfg 30 rnd mag? Or is that just a really dark flat plum mag and the lighting makes it looks black?
Just a really dark matte plum, unfortunately. The "true black" is the one mag I'm still looking for...

Bachelor_of_Science said:
I think it takes away from the overall aesthetics of the gun.
I went with the "beercan" FH for a number of reasons:

1) My inspiration for the build was Troy Sellars' post-sample -105 that I shot at Knob Creek a couple years ago, and that's what it wore.

2) Lack of availability of the real Russian -105 muzzle devices, and the fact that they would require a bit of work to index properly on the Bulgarian FSB.

3) The beercan is the correct device for the Bulgarian combo FSB, and is used on their 105-style carbines in 5.56 and 7.62.

So there ya go. I'll probably pick up a Bulgarian cage-style FH and a plain muzzle nut later on, just to have some variety. But for now, the beercan stays and I like it that way!

#16 ·
Thekatar said:
Were you able to get the PG plate and the 500m rear sight?
No, and no. But I really didn't care about minor details like that. I figured this gun was going to be a "mutt" from the outset (part Bulgarian, part Russian, part USA), so no point in going through the effort and expense to come up with all the "correct" bits. This gun is going to be a shooter; I'll probably end up putting an Ultimak on it at some point, which would spoil the "exact clone" thing anyway.

#17 ·
My AK-USA 105 is very similar to yours down to the crown.
I've only shot mine with Wolf and I'm getting 3"- 4" groups at 100 yds. with irons.
The sight radius on these things makes it difficult for me to shoot any better than that, the front sight post appears wider than the 6" bull on the targets I use and my eyes are fatigued after about 30 minutes of slow aimed shooting.
I do believe that these rifles are capable of better accuracy but are limited by its sights, ammo and my aging eyes.
I just picked up a Kobra and 1000 rounds of Barnaul and Silver Bear 5.45 that may provide a little better accuracy.
Chris at AK-USA has a US made 105 muzzle booster/brake. I'll have one as soon as my SBR stamp arrives....should be any day now.

#20 ·
GPSIG said:
Thekatar said:
Can't tell from the pics..

Were you able to get the PG plate and the 500m rear sight?

Nice SBR, BTW. That beercan is a big, heavy mother compared to the Russian 105 style.
How hard are these two parts to find (PG plate and 500m sight)? I am collecting 105 parts and would like to pick them up.
I don't have 500m rear sight but I got the plate from Tantal.

#21 ·
Bump for a range report!

Ammo: Silver Bear (60gr?) FMJ
Mags: mix of Russian plum, Bulgarian poly and EG bakelite
Conditions: Sunny, ~65deg., no wind

Function was 100%, as I expected. Recoil was pretty much nonexistent, trigger pull was good (shape of the Arsenal trigger is far more comfortable than whatever was used in my Saiga conversion, and the pull was a bit lighter as well), the polymer folding stock proved comfortable under live fire, and the bolt cycle speed was a surprisingly smooth, slow "ka-chunk." What disappointed me was that a *lot* of windage adjustment was required to get the thing zeroed at 50 yards; the front sight post is probably 3/4 of the way over to the left, like this: ( ^ ) I may end up putting on a windage-adjustable rear sight to help mitigate some of that. Or I might just put on a red dot and forget about it. [;)] Accuracy was good for a 12" barreled gun (and an AK at that!), but usable range (for me) with iron sights tops out at 75 yards or so - beyond that and you're pretty much just talking "minute of man." We also did some shooting with the stock folded, both using the sights and "Liberian style" (from the hip, or held overhead at 90 degrees in a sort of "gangsta carbine" stance). All I can say from that experience is: 1) AK pistols are stupid, and 2) if we ever fight the Liberians, we're gonna kick their asses. Finally, the 4-piece "beercan" flash hider REALLY works. Without it attached, the muzzle blast and report are pretty much thunderous (worse than the AK-74 brake) and you can see the fireball in broad daylight. The beercan completely kills the flame (you still get a decent puff of smoke, though) and re-directs the report to the front of the shooter, rather than to the sides and behind. I can see now why John Noveske glommed on to this device for use on short-barreled ARs!

I'll probably take it out again next w/e and fine-tune the sights at 50 and attempt some 100-yard shots just for grins. More updates as events warrant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.