AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a Pars Maadi with a cruchfolder a few weeks ago. At the time the seller said the barrel was threaded and it had a slant brake on it. I received the rifle and I was shocked to see that it in fact had a threaded barrel so I thought I had something that may have slipped past getting turned down. I took it to the range and shoot it and about 20 shots down I noticed I had no muzzle brake. I found the slant brake on the ground and saw this...... I have never seen anything like this before and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Basically it looks like a threaded sleeve that went over the turned down muzzle and glued it on so that a brake could be threaded. Apart from being unsafe, I thought it was kind of clever. I have a micrometer coming in the mail today so Ill check to see if I can turn it down to 5/8 soon. Thanks for any info ya'll can provide.

·
Banned
16,234 Posts
Sleeving an undersized barrel is not uncommon. Unfortunately in your case it was not pressed on with enough interference fit to stay in place or not silver soldered after install.

Common method is to press on a sleeve of sufficient diameter to withstand the pressure of being pressed. Then turn it to .550 on a lathe and thread for 14mmx1 LH.
You could silver solder it with the 500 degree stuff and that should hold it. No need for the 1100 ATF sanctioned extension high temp solder IMHO.

Nice looking rifle. Might rattle the door of the seller on that muzzle set up though.:)

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Nice Maadi, and agreeing with what AKBLUE said, I would have the threads silver soldered to the barrel.

Not sure but red loctite might do the job too as it is supposed to be permanent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I love the rifle. For one reason or another I have a thing for ak's that fold. I will definitely check into the silver solder & red loctite suggestion. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys fist time on this forum I was interested in this because I inhered a maadi and it has no brake or flash hider the barrel looks like it has been turbid down to about 1/2 inch it has shallow tracer of threads you still see on the barrel any thoughts or suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Nice Maadi, and agreeing with what AKBLUE said, I would have the threads silver soldered to the barrel.

Not sure but red loctite might do the job too as it is supposed to be permanent.
Red Locktite is designed to be removed with heat so I wouldn't use that for this application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts