AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to co witness some optics on my lady... I have been digging through some threads and watched a few youtube videos( ok ok I have been staying up late most nights drooling over multiple gun projects:eek:) but am really not convinced that either the side mounting optics keep zero when removed and re attached.. Or that the Parabellum Armament or Texas dog maintain zero. Also I noticed alot of the threads regarding this subject were kinda older so I thought maybe we could get a few updates on how the equipment is holding up>? I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and if I don't figure this out soon I may have to build a krink Want to co witness with this 107cr 2013-09-24_00.54.31.jpg I'm really open to all suggestions.. Btw the trijicon front sight post is awesome(very bright) Mine has no play and is actually extremely tight.. It is a bit fatter but BUT the actual green part is about the same width as the original post.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
A lot has to do with the optic and mount. Buy cheap, get expected results. By the sound of it you are not going for the Walmart tasco special. Trijicon are quality optics

I dont have experience with the dog leg but I do have an Aimpoint on a Russian mount since 2010 and it hasnt shifted. Granted there is a slight variation between ammo brands but its still zeroed despite being on and off the rifle countless times. The setup is mounted on a 7.62 SBR. As long as you get a quality mount and dont play with it once its all secured (optic to mount) you'll be fine.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I met with the owner of the Parabellum Armament rail company which he had added to a Siaga rifle for our testing. It was frigid cold out but we did manage to zero the rifle and it seemed to hold zero. His is made from an actual topcover not like the Texas one which I believe is aluminum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot has to do with the optic and mount. Buy cheap, get expected results. By the sound of it you are not going for the Walmart tasco special. Trijicon are quality optics

I dont have experience with the dog leg but I do have an Aimpoint on a Russian mount since 2010 and it hasnt shifted. Granted there is a slight variation between ammo brands but its still zeroed despite being on and off the rifle countless times. The setup is mounted on a 7.62 SBR. As long as you get a quality mount and dont play with it once its all secured (optic to mount) you'll be fine.
So can you take the side mount off and it goes back to zero?? or do you have to rezero .. I want to clean my rifle without having to rezero lol and the optic I am interested in is this Bushnell Trophy First Strike Tactical Red Dot Sight 5 MOA Dot Picatinny Mount Matte Black 730005 Bushnell Trophy First Strike Cus I have heard you can get em soaking wet and they will be fine

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Can't reply on the mount because out of all the AK's I've owned over the years, only one had an optic...a PSL. I will say if your budget is around $100, It's very hard to beat the Primary Arms Micro Dot. If you can swing it buy an Aimpoint H-1 (or even better...T-1)...either with a 2 MOA dot. The smaller the better.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
So can you take the side mount off and it goes back to zero?? or do you have to rezero .. I want to clean my rifle without having to rezero lol and the optic I am interested in is this Bushnell Trophy First Strike Tactical Red Dot Sight 5 MOA Dot Picatinny Mount Matte Black 730005 Bushnell Trophy First Strike Cus I have heard you can get em soaking wet and they will be fine
I cant speak for Bushnell, never used them. However, my aimpoint mounted on a Russian side mount has never lost zero

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I cant speak for Bushnell, never used them. However, my aimpoint mounted on a Russian side mount has never lost zero
My bad I missed the part in your earlier post saying you can take it on and off and in maintains zero. That is very good to hear! Are any mounts on the market actually capable of a true co-witness ?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Several
Some US and Russian

It's not going to 100% cowitness - nothing does on an AK, but you want get it to lower 1/3rd cowitness.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I am about to buy one of these Russian red dots Venezuela PK-A Military Fast Acquisition Red Dot Rifle Scope they were supplied to Venezuela for the AK-103s that they bought for there military. These red dots co-witness are true military grade optics and have an integral mount. My other consideration is the Aimpoint PRO red dot mounted with an RS regulate mount, the Aimpoint is also military grade, co-witnesses and warrantied for life as opposed to one year on the Russian dot. Both of these optics are said to maintain zero when removed from the rifle and re-installed. One thing though on the side mounted optic is that you really do not "need" a co-witness as the optic can be removed in seconds with the throw of the lever if the red dot fails or whatever, and you are back in action with your unobstructed iron sights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So buying a rail like the ultimak gas rail texas dog or the parabellum will only get me a 1/3 cowitness? where as the side mount can do the same thing?? well I think I have made up my mind.. seems more logical to use the side rail which can be taken off in seconds.. than to otherwise modify a rifle. I want my guns to be able to sustain a beating ( aside from my match grade 22-250 lol).. And with this many people saying you wont loose zero, I'm sold. Side mounts for all the aks :) .. Well Aside from the tactical vepr I intend on purchasing along with the new optics next pay check lol. Any thoughts on the tactical vepr furniture ?

O ya and which side mount is the lowest ? I saw one that said it was but it was 200.. im sure there is another like it for less?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Here is a list of many mounts, Mounts I believe the RS regulate is one that is very low, and is made by one of are Forum members. There are others also listed here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts