AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago I bought a PAP 70, much heavier and in my opinion nicer looking than most ak's I have seen. I never shot it until this weekend and while it fed and shot well I hated shooting it. I wanted to sight in the iron sights but the dang thing knocked the crap out of my cheek bone, I tried changing up my cheek weld and the only way to fire it comfortably was to forget about the rear sight and just line up the front post and fire away (surprisingly every shot did hit the paper). Now while I am very experienced with hunting rifles and AR's, shotguns, etc. I have never experienced this before, I had a SKS back in the mid 90's that I loved but this thing I hate and am thinking about selling it because it is to uncomfortable for me to shoot. I figured I would stop in here and see if anyone has any ideas because honestly I don't think I can get my money back for it in the current market.

·
Banned
489 Posts
From my experience along with what I've read from forum members is that a chin weld works best. Perhaps logically, and as western shooters we look for a natural cheek weld with a rifle. But, in my experience no AK variety I've shot is conducive to this style.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Yep, Yugo buttstocks suck. They're the only AK I know of where the metal underfolding stock is actually more comfortable than the wood buttstock.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Some people have had luck switching over to a M76 stock. Others have found that getting a cheek weld far up on the stock, similar to the nose to charging handle method on an AR, has helped alleviate the cheek slap as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may experiment with it some more, I know I tried the AR method and for me that was probably when it was the most painful. I think if I had a scope on it it probably wouldn't be as bad but I hate having to rely on a scope plus none of the gun shops locally in C.C. Texas seemed to know how to mount the side plate on the receiver because the receiver is slanted at some point (not sure were because I thought it had to do with the rear of the receiver where the stock mounts) and from some of the reviews I read the upper receiver has to much movement to reliably use the picatinney rail that came mounted from the factory.

When I bought it I probably over paid, I got it for around $750 I think and from the prices I am seeing online getting more than 600 would be a reach and I hate to take a loss on it. But it seems the AK's that to me feel light and flimsy are going for 800 to 900.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
They aren't supposed to be heavy. Standard stamped receiver is 1mm thick. There are some 1.5 and 1.6 out there too. You know price doesnt go by wheight....right? :mrgreen: There's a lot more to the price of the AK but the PAP is a good rifle. Yea you overpaid a bit butnot but much (if you dont count Black Friday sales)

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
If you have the wood stock version you can do this.

Remove the buttpad and the stock through bolt. Then use a rasp or belt sander to remove some material from the lower 1/3 rd of the front facing area in the wood that inserts into the rear trunnion. This will effectively turn the stock down somewhat at the rear. Go slow., this is lieu of trimming the comb of the stock itself. Some folks do that but it does become obvious in the profile of the rifle. Test fit and shoulder for a better cheekweld.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have the wood stock version you can do this.

Remove the buttpad and the stock through bolt. Then use a rasp or belt sander to remove some material from the lower 1.3 rd of the front facing area in the wood that inserts into the rear trunnion. This will effectively turn the stock down somewhat at the rear. Go slow., this is lieu of trimming the comb of the stock itself. Some folks do that but it does become obvious in the profile of the rifle. Test fit and shoulder for a better cheekweld.
I will try to do it this weekend, I may post some pics before I start to make sure I am actually understanding what your telling me, I have a good idea but would rather make sure before I go screwing it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts