AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the more realistic SHTF scenarios is pandemic virus - a new bird flu mutation, SARS or something we have yet to hear of. When SARS was hitting the media, decent N95 masks were scarce as governments and others snapped them up. Having a case of high quality masks is a good addition to your med kit. If a virus comes your way, they are the second best thing you can do. Social isolation is the first. They are one of the next things on my prep list. Unlike food or gas, they don't go bad (at least not for many years).

Just a thought.

joedog

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
Do your homework when buying masks...some will do the job, others will only boost your confidence until you keel over doing the "floppy croppie".
Aside from the condition of the Pro Mask, its all in the filters you use. If your lucky enough to have a solid mask thats up tp specs, get the "war" use filters, and leave them in their sealed canister until they are needed. Store in a cool and dry place, and check for dry rot.

Social isolation...sounds like my house! (I"m not socialable these days)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
JoeMomma said:
Do your homework when buying masks...some will do the job, others will only boost your confidence until you keel over doing the "floppy croppie".
Aside from the condition of the Pro Mask, its all in the filters you use. If your lucky enough to have a solid mask thats up tp specs, get the "war" use filters, and leave them in their sealed canister until they are needed. Store in a cool and dry place, and check for dry rot.

Do you recomend any particular country over an other? I was thinking Israeli, with a box of NATO canisters.
Where do you recomend buying so as to not do the floppy croppie?

Just looking for recomendations because this item is definitely on my to-get list.

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
ap5770 said:
JoeMomma said:

Do you recomend any particular country over an other? I was thinking Israeli, with a box of NATO canisters.
Where do you recomend buying so as to not do the floppy croppie?

Just looking for recomendations because this item is definitely on my to-get list.
I can really only comment on the systems that I know well; the M18A1, and the new M40 pro masks. I do know that there are good commercial ones out there, I"ve just never looked into which ones are quality, and which ones are shit.
Here is an article...might be a good place to start:
http://www.alpharubicon.com/basicnbc/basicnbc.htm

·
Registered
284 Posts
So how many of you MASK guys have facial hair? I assume you plan to just shave it off when the need arises?

Do they sell masks for Kids? I have 2 with another on the way. How do you plan to protect small children?

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
djturnz said:
So how many of you MASK guys have facial hair? I assume you plan to just shave it off when the need arises?

Do they sell masks for Kids? I have 2 with another on the way. How do you plan to protect small children?
I believe that they make masks for kids in Israel.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
djturnz said:

How about these? they even offer a positive pressure filtered "hood" for infants.

plus no getting 20 year old masks.

http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
They look decent enough to me, but I"m not an NBC expert. Ask around about these, and check to see if Government agencys have a contract with them.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i just got recertified in first aid class and they now have a special class for the pandemic flu. it was telling to stock up on water, food, first aid etc. the video we were watching made it seem like it could hit at any time.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
ap5770 said:
djturnz said:

How about these? they even offer a positive pressure filtered "hood" for infants.

could an infant handle positive pressure for that long?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
heimdal said:
ap5770 said:
djturnz said:

could an infant handle positive pressure for that long?
Considering the situation you would have to be in when using these masks or hoods, perhaps the positive pressure is actually the least of concerns.

However, if survivability is the question. I don't have the knowledge to comment one way or the other. what i can say is that my kids as infants have never had an issue from pressure changes from changes in elevation... i.e. airplane flight from high altitude to sea level. The human being is a resilient thing.

I'll ask a Doctor friend later about positive pressure for infants.

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
I think another thing you can do if a virus became widespread is to stay away from people as much as possible.
If things really got that bad, the Government might set up quarantine zones to help stop the spreading of the infection/disease.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Pandemic? Don't worry, you'll either...

A) get infected and die
B) get infected and get better
C) get infected and never know it

·
Banned
360 Posts
Those positive pressure systems for infants would be a bad idea all around.

Battery powered? :eek: Come on! When those batteries run out you have an infant stuck inside a plastic bag and dead in a matter of minutes.

Brilliant!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
A bird flu killed 50 million people worldwide in 1917-18. Over 600,00 here in the U.S. My hometown was hardest hit of U.S. cities.

It can, and will happen again.

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
joelad said:
A bird flu killed 50 million people worldwide in 1917-18. Over 600,00 here in the U.S. My hometown was hardest hit of U.S. cities.

It can, and will happen again.
Bird Flu? I thought it was Legionares disease. Are they basically the same type of virus?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The 1918 pandemic was an avian virus that mutated, it was also called the Spanish Flu. That's why the MSM wets it's pants every time there's a story about "bird flu". Bad joo joo.

They are not the same virus. The virus Legionella was unknown until the outbreak here in Philly during the American Legion convention back in '76. Hence, the name.

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
You learn something new everyday.... :smile:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts