AK Rifles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Zigfreed, very nice-looking rifle you have there. Do you know which PSA model or gen this rifle is? I have several of PSA's AR's but none of their AK's, and I'm looking to add one to my collection.

·
Registered
6 AK rifles: 1) Chinese pre-ban, spike bayonet, Zantava .308, Century Arms CV39-2, others
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zigfreed, very nice-looking rifle you have there. Do you know which PSA model or gen this rifle is? I have several of PSA's AR's but none of their AK's, and I'm looking to add one to my collection.
It is the GF3

·
Registered
408 Posts
When I went to Kalashni-Con a few years ago, they had quite a few big name sponsors, PSA included. PSA very generously donated 3 rifles to the event, winners were chosen by drawing names out of a hat. I won the first, so I had my choice of the 3. There were the folding/full stock, a folding/Zhukov stock, and I dont remember the 3rd choice, I think maybe a pistol version? The rifles were not physically present at the event, I got a certificate. When I called PSA and chose the full stock folder, I was told there were none in stock at present, and anyway, the rep told me, they were experiencing problems with the folding mechanism. So I chose the fixed version full stock rifle, sent my local ffl info to them.

Went to the ffl, gave em a heads up it was coming. Got a call it was in.

I arrived and what came out of the box was a folding stock Zhukov version. WTF?! The box had no name associated on it, just deliver to ffl name/address. Well, shit.

On that day, the ffl also had another PSA AK, so we inspected and handled both versions. The dust covers on both were VERY tight and had to be pried off with a screwdriver. Other than that, they were nice quality guns. But a very annoying lack of a cleaning rod.

I said, this aint what I wanted and called PSA to inquire about it. The rep said they hadnt even sent my gun yet... Local ffl guy said, oh yeah... I forgot somebody else had ordered that Zhukov...

Anyway... Mine finally arrived and other than the supertight dust cover (fixed in two minutes with a pair of pliers) and the annoying missing cleaning rod, we inspected it, lubed it with grease and immediately went to the range.

It took about 12 rounds to zero. Adjustment was up, up, up, & right, right, right. It was banging 200 yard steel in no time. Perfect function.

I was VERY PLEASED with the quality of the rifle and eventually pleased with PSA's customer service. Never did get a cleaning rod for it...

Anyway, I thought the PSA GF3 was equal to a WASR in quality. For a US made stamped AK, I think PSA does a fine job. I would not hesitate to get another.

The 2nd guy who won a PSA rifle from K-Con was not impressed at all. I've seen him several times since then at local gun shows and he complained every time about it being "out of spec", "poor quality control", etc and I never understood wtf he was talking about. Who complains about getting a free gun, anyway?

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I went to Kalashni-Con a few years ago, they had quite a few big name sponsors, PSA included. PSA very generously donated 3 rifles to the event, winners were chosen by drawing names out of a hat. I won the first, so I had my choice of the 3. There were the folding/full stock, a folding/Zhukov stock, and I dont remember the 3rd choice, I think maybe a pistol version? The rifles were not physically present at the event, I got a certificate. When I called PSA and chose the full stock folder, I was told there were none in stock at present, and anyway, the rep told me, they were experiencing problems with the folding mechanism. So I chose the fixed version full stock rifle, sent my local ffl info to them.

I arrived and what came out of the box was a folding stock Zhukov version. WTF?! The box had no name associated on it, just deliver to ffl name/address. Well, shit.

On that day, the ffl also had another PSA AK, so we inspected and handled both versions. The dust covers on both were VERY tight and had to be pried off with a screwdriver. Other than that, they were nice quality guns. But a very annoying lack of a cleaning rod.

I said, this aint what I wanted and called PSA to inquire about it. The rep said they hadnt even sent my gun yet... Local ffl guy said, oh yeah... I forgot somebody else had ordered that Zhukov...

Anyway... Mine finally arrived and other than the supertight dust cover (fixed in two minutes with a pair of pliers) and the annoying missing cleaning rod, we inspected it, lubed it with grease and immediately went to the range.

It took about 12 rounds to zero. Adjustment was up, up, up, & right, right, right. It was banging 200 yard steel in no time. Perfect function.

I was VERY PLEASED with the quality of the rifle and eventually pleased with PSA's customer service. Never did get a cleaning rod for it...

Anyway, I thought the PSA GF3 was equal to a WASR in quality. For a US made stamped AK, I think PSA does a fine job. I would not hesitate to get another.

The 2nd guy who won a PSA rifle from K-Con was not impressed at all. I've seen him several times since then at local gun shows and he complained every time about it being "out of spec", "poor quality control", etc and I never understood wtf he was talking about. Who complains about getting a free gun, anyway?

Quite the rollercoaster!! Your rifle, not your rifle, lol

I have owned 2 PSA AK's. One GF3 forged, and currently have a GF5-E.

The GF3 was purchased to beat the crap out of it. Total shooter. First range trip, rifle was zero-ed at the factory apparently, spot on no adjustments needed. I was shocked. No canted sight, all rivets were great, fit and finish was good. Rifle functioned flawlessly. I put maybe 5k round through it. No issues at all. Everything held tight, trunions looked good, bcg was fine. You roll the dice with PSA, but my GF3 was a gem of a workhorse. I sold this one when I snagged another PSA

I wanted something a bit better. Got pulled in by the buzz words like "FNH Cold Hammer Forged" "Toolcraft trunnions" "Toolcraft BCG". SO I bought their GF5-E model.

Being optimistic, I just swapped my setup from the GF3 over to the GF5-e and took her to the range to sight in/break in.

Lmao, Yeah not traditional in any sense. I tweaked it to suit my ergos and what I wanted out of the rifle.

Broke the barrel in first. I was breaking in an AR barrel on the same range trip, so I was like, "F'it, can't hurt, probably wont help either, lol" Standard 1 shot, patch, 2 shots, patch, up to ten shots then a clean.

After a cool down, I set up for sighting.

Sighting it in on Irons, Like 7 inches to the right, and low by 5. Apparently Im a big dummy, and my Magna-matic sight tool doesn't work on combo gas/FSB. LMFAO!! SO I sighted in the Huey. I have since bought the Gunsmith Edition of the tool, and it is fantastic!! Can't all be perfect out the box, lol

Get the optic sighted in, and start ripping. ALG Ultimate trigger is very fast, had to be a little more conscious to keep double taps to just doubles. Learned real quick how to run it after initial shock/love/drool/excitement. Put around 500 rounds through it on that day. Tore it all down, clean/inspect. Polished out some surfaces to smooth things out. I'm a tinkerer, it was not necessary, I just get carried away. No abnormal wear on anything, rivets tight and true, BCG looking great. Overall, Im 2 for 2 on PSA AK's. Very satisfied. I'll roll the dice again on another one eventually. My eyes are set on building my next one from a parts kit though.

·
Registered
6 AK rifles: 1) Chinese pre-ban, spike bayonet, Zantava .308, Century Arms CV39-2, others
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That definitely is a great story to tell, but like you say, probably not a great situation to be in. Your words give me a lot of confidence in this rifle I just bought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The GF3 was purchased to beat the crap out of it. Total shooter. First range trip, rifle was zero-ed at the factory apparently, spot on no adjustments needed. I was shocked. No canted sight, all rivets were great, fit and finish was good. Rifle functioned flawlessly. I put maybe 5k round through it. No issues at all. Everything held tight, trunions looked good, bcg was fine. You roll the dice with PSA, but my GF3 was a gem of a workhorse. I sold this one when I snagged another PSA

I wanted something a bit better. Got pulled in by the buzz words like "FNH Cold Hammer Forged" "Toolcraft trunnions" "Toolcraft BCG". SO I bought their GF5-E model.

Being optimistic, I just swapped my setup from the GF3 over to the GF5-e and took her to the range to sight in/break in.

Lmao, Yeah not traditional in any sense. I tweaked it to suit my ergos and what I wanted out of the rifle.

Broke the barrel in first. I was breaking in an AR barrel on the same range trip, so I was like, "F'it, can't hurt, probably wont help either, lol" Standard 1 shot, patch, 2 shots, patch, up to ten shots then a clean.

Sighting it in on Irons, Like 7 inches to the right, and low by 5. Apparently Im a big dummy, and my Magna-matic sight tool doesn't work on combo gas/FSB. LMFAO!! SO I sighted in the Huey. I have since bought the Gunsmith Edition of the tool, and it is fantastic!! Can't all be perfect out the box, lol

Get the optic sighted in, and start ripping. ALG Ultimate trigger is very fast, had to be a little more conscious to keep double taps to just doubles. Learned real quick how to run it after initial shock/love/drool/excitement. Put around 500 rounds through it on that day. Tore it all down, clean/inspect. Polished out some surfaces to smooth things out. I'm a tinkerer, it was not necessary, I just get carried away. No abnormal wear on anything, rivets tight and true, BCG looking great. Overall, Im 2 for 2 on PSA AK's. Very satisfied. I'll roll the dice again on another one eventually. My eyes are set on building my next one from a parts kit though.

Dang! That looks like the ultimate AK and what a break-in technique! Your patience pays off.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
My buddy picked up a PSA "103" stockless kit. I helped him get it all set up to shoot. For the price and features I was impressed. No issues with function or firing. Much better than a pos century and really no comparison.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My buddy picked up a PSA "103" stockless kit. I helped him get it all set up to shoot. For the price and features I was impressed. No issues with function or firing. Much better than a pos century and really no comparison.
Leg Flooring Wood Floor Automotive tire
Leg Flooring Wood Floor Automotive tire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have this Zantacs M70 and am wondering if you all have one and can tell me of its quality.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Zastava is a Serbian (former Yugoslavia) arms manufacturer that's been making arms since the 1850's. Yugo guns are heavy built and good quality. No worries with them.

However... They went through a civil war in the 90's and often times a used Yugo barrel is a shot-out sewer pipe. I would never install a used Yugo barrel on a kit build, unless it is proven good barrel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I now have two PSA AK's. A GF5 under folder, and a second run AK-74. The fit and finish on both is excellent. I bought the under folder only because I wanted one, "just because", and the -74 to save wear and tear on my SLR-104FR and SGL-31, since they have pretty much become collector pieces now.

The -74 just went over 500 rounds of 7N6. Except for some issues with the bolt carrier sticking to the rear after I installed the TWS dogleg dust cover, that a little Dremel work resolved, it's been 100% reliable, and reasonably accurate.

The GF5 has also been 100%, but it's a low round count rifle, and probably wont get shot much.

I'm pleased with both rifles so far.

The -74 is a "work in progress" kind of deal, I'm still not sure where it's going to end up. But when I decide on a handguard configuration, it's gonna meet they krylon cans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I now have two PSA AK's. A GF5 under folder, and a second run AK-74. The fit and finish on both is excellent. I bought the under folder only because I wanted one, "just because", and the -74 to save wear and tear on my SLR-104FR and SGL-31, since they have pretty much become collector pieces now.

The -74 just went over 500 rounds of 7N6. Except for some issues with the bolt carrier sticking to the rear after I installed the TWS dogleg dust cover, that a little Dremel work resolved, it's been 100% reliable, and reasonably accurate.

The GF5 has also been 100%, but it's a low round count rifle, and probably wont get shot much.

I'm pleased with both rifles so far.

The -74 is a "work in progress" kind of deal, I'm still not sure where it's going to end up. But when I decide on a handguard configuration, it's gonna meet they krylon cans.

I’m having the same issue with the bolt carrier sticking after installing the tws dust cover on my GF3. Where exactly did you dremel?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m having the same issue with the bolt carrier sticking after installing the tws dust cover on my GF3. Where exactly did you dremel?
On my gun, it was literally the last place I would have thought to look. The bottom of the top cover release button/recoil spring guide. There was bare metal there, where it has been rubbing inside the bold carrier channel. I cleaned up the displaced metal, took the radius down a little, and hit it with some cold blue. For now, that took care of the problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice looking rifle. That paint looks pretty good.

Has there ever been an official explanation of why PSA doesn't include cleaning rods? I mean, I'd think at the drum-sized quantities they'd have to buy them for all the AKs they sell, a single cleaning rod would be less than a buck added to their costs for a rifle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts