AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the PAK9 pistol and read where you cannot brace it on your shoulder. So I was looking at a padded buffer tube by phase 5 and was wondering if I need some kind of adapter? All the adapters I found where sold out, is there another way I can add on this buffer? Thanks

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I just ordered the PAK9 pistol and read where you cannot brace it on your shoulder. So I was looking at a padded buffer tube by phase 5 and was wondering if I need some kind of adapter? All the adapters I found where sold out, is there another way I can add on this buffer? Thanks
That rule has been rescended maybe a year or two ago but it's just a ruling so it can change again at any time. Not sure if buffer tube would be any different.

My personal opinion. It isn't worth the headache

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what I was thinking it would be easier for me to handle, I'm short and have short arms. Plus it would be better against my cheek to brace it. Don't know about that ruling cause I asked a question on a brace from a company and the guy asked me if I sent in my 200.00 and paperworks cause it's illegal.

That rule has been rescended maybe a year or two ago but it's just a ruling so it can change again at any time. Not sure if buffer tube would be any different.

My personal opinion. It isn't worth the headache

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Well what I was thinking it would be easier for me to handle, I'm short and have short arms. Plus it would be better against my cheek to brace it. Don't know about that ruling cause I asked a question on a brace from a company and the guy asked me if I sent in my 200.00 and paperworks cause it's illegal.
Not sure who you asked but that's if you're making an SBR. Completely different. That's taking a rifle and shortening the barrel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
20200212_203900.jpg Ok I guess I'm going in a different direction, the gunsmith at where I bought the PAK9 said having an arm brace would be better , now my question is do I need a buffer tube to install a arm brace. Enclosed pic is what is on the end of my gun 20200212_203900.jpg

Not sure who you asked but that's if you're making an SBR. Completely different. That's taking a rifle and shortening the barrel

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Ok I guess I'm going in a different direction, the gunsmith at where I bought the PAK9 said having an arm brace would be better , now my question is do I need a buffer tube to install a arm brace. Enclosed pic is what is on the end of my gun
Having an arm brace isn't better than having a SBR. That said, many don't find the NFA hassle and $200 worth the difference between the two. In answer to your question, it depends on the type of arm brace you're getting. If it's the kind that goes on a buffer tube, then yes. You'll need a tube. The one tube I have like that came with the brace fixed in place with a screw. There may be some sort of regulation about that, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so that pic of what's at the end of my gun is the adapter for the brace, now which brace pictured here is what would fit on that adapter? 2020-02-13_16h48_52.png

Having an arm brace isn't better than having a SBR. That said, many don't find the NFA hassle and $200 worth the difference between the two. In answer to your question, it depends on the type of arm brace you're getting. If it's the kind that goes on a buffer tube, then yes. You'll need a tube. The one tube I have like that came with the brace fixed in place with a screw. There may be some sort of regulation about that, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
That contraption on the end of your firearm looks like it's for a tube. The second pic you posted above will probably work assuming it's the same thread and proper diameter

·
Registered
115 Posts
Braces

Looks like the same adaptor on my PAK9.
I run an SBA3 brace. It uses a std. AR buffer tube (Included) and is adjustable.
The Tailhook mod 2 is also a great brace, it is also adjustable but uses a proprietary tube that fits any AR or AR adaptor like yours.
KAK also has several cheaper options. I ran a few blade braces.
most braces come with a buffer tube.

basically three options for a buffer tube.
The round pistol buffer tube which can be used as is or with a brace. The KAK blade uses a round pistol buffer tube but their buffer tube also has dimples in it for the set screw. All the SB fixed braces like the SOB use a round pistol tube.
The std. carbine buffer tube and an SBA3 or SBA4, or a KAK Shockwave M2. All these are adjustable by hand just like an M4 stock.
A proprietary tube like the Tailhook mod 2. Only works on the mod 2.

A brace is not a stock. Adding a brace doesn’t change the status of your pistol, it’s still a pistol. And per the ATF, OK to shoulder.
Be aware that the ATF has stated that modifying a brace isn’t allowed. One letter specifically says not OK to remove the Velcro strap from an SB brace, because that’s how it comes from the manufacturer. BUT there’s lots of other braces that don’t come with Velcro, and that’s OK too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info I will look into those.

Looks like the same adaptor on my PAK9.
I run an SBA3 brace. It uses a std. AR buffer tube (Included) and is adjustable.
The Tailhook mod 2 is also a great brace, it is also adjustable but uses a proprietary tube that fits any AR or AR adaptor like yours.
KAK also has several cheaper options. I ran a few blade braces.
most braces come with a buffer tube.

basically three options for a buffer tube.
The round pistol buffer tube which can be used as is or with a brace. The KAK blade uses a round pistol buffer tube but their buffer tube also has dimples in it for the set screw. All the SB fixed braces like the SOB use a round pistol tube.
The std. carbine buffer tube and an SBA3 or SBA4, or a KAK Shockwave M2. All these are adjustable by hand just like an M4 stock.
A proprietary tube like the Tailhook mod 2. Only works on the mod 2.

A brace is not a stock. Adding a brace doesn’t change the status of your pistol, it’s still a pistol. And per the ATF, OK to shoulder.
Be aware that the ATF has stated that modifying a brace isn’t allowed. One letter specifically says not OK to remove the Velcro strap from an SB brace, because that’s how it comes from the manufacturer. BUT there’s lots of other braces that don’t come with Velcro, and that’s OK too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts