AK Rifles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put together a painting tutorial over on AR15.com and I'm trying to gauge interest if folks around here would be interested in a paiting tutorial here also.

I've been involved in painting/body work for 20 years, most of my years have been more in the painting end of it. Right now I work fulltime as a painter/bodyman, my part time job and hobby is custom painting. I do airbrushing, pinstriping, hand lettering and graffics. I made my living for a number years just doing custom work fulltime; cars, bikes, brain buckets, boats, etc. I even had a chance to flame-out a mounted sail fish...that was a fun project.If it takes up mass or moves I will paint it! :grin:

The tutorial I have in mind will be more about the mechanics of painting and surface preperation. Something easy to understand with minimal techincal jargon. Some basic and simple steps on painting, but even more important...making sure your paint sticks. I'll even give a basic rundown of different types of paint. Weather you are planning on using something like Dura-Coat or something out of a spray can, this will be something that will point a novice in the right direction.

Interested folks?

Don

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes. Especially if it does not involve tanks of bubbling, noxious witches' brews or putting my rifle in the oven and roasting it like a pig.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you think it will benefit our members then by all means please post it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soldier48 said:
If you think it will benefit our members then by all means please post it.
Yep, what I have in mind will steer people in the right direction. More or less, keep people from making mistakes and having to redo a paint job. It's no fun having to strip bad paint going through the extra cost and time.

I won't have time to start till the end of next week, I'm in the middle of redoing my bathroom.

Don

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've been using GunKote without any problems, But have been wanting to do a camo job with Dura-Coat on my long range stick.

Several colors can get kind of spendy. Some insight on how to apply it properly would be great.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Prep work proir to paint can be a challenge getting contaminants out of all the hiding places. Anything to simplify that would be great.

·
Registered
782 Posts
56type said:
Prep work proir to paint can be a challenge getting contaminants out of all the hiding places. Anything to simplify that would be great.
On that subject, what results have people had with one of those little steamers on getting cosmo and assorted oil gunk out of nooks and crannies?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NCLivingBrit said:
56type said:
On that subject, what results have people had with one of those little steamers on getting cosmo and assorted oil gunk out of nooks and crannies?
I use a $20 one, it works great for removing cosmoline. I'll be talking about getting rid of contaminats, it's the quickest way to ruin an otherwise good paint job.

Don

·
Registered
66 Posts
This type of tutorial would be very helpful, IMO. Please post it ASAP & Thank You for your time & sharing your knowledge! :hail: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's funny, I am really looking forward to the tutorial.

I've got all my bits more or less and found a local builder with tools to help me through my first build.... It's going to be time to refinish this sucker soon!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm using the long weekend to finish up my bathroom, I'll start on the tutoral this coming up week.

Don

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry I've been pretty slammed guys. Mandatory OT at work, bathroom :mad: and I've decided to go back to school for a new career. I've spent all my free time studying math to do good enough on an appitude test to be interviewed for the program I'm trying to get into. Passed the test, but now I have to go in front of a 15 member board for my interview. No pressure there... :roll:

Bare with me another week or so.

Thanks,

Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.