AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old stock set that looks really bad. I have refinished several other stocks, but the wood on this one is kind of mismatched & just won't look good stained. I'm thinking about just painting it black, then throwing several coats of poly on it. Anybody ever try this? Were you happy with the result? Thx/

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
You could refinish each one individually with what would look best on it, and then sell them separately... or try the universal finish, Tru Oil, that stuff makes EVERYTHING look like a nice brown.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I've seen some done with truck bed lined that turned out good but I would strip it and put it away for a future project.You never know when you may need it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Depending on the country of origin of the stockset you could consider refinishing them...

I would hate to see an AK47 or AKM set of a PLO kit get drowned in tarblack paint...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I was talking to a guy who suggested a new plan:

He advised me to take a propane torch and lightly burn the stock set to give it a uniform dark color...then refinish as usual. I don't really want to throw paint on it, so I might try this approach as something new.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I've seen Russian sets done that way and they turned out good!Post pics when you finish.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
If you want it black use the Duplicolor truck bed liner spray. You can get it at Wal-mart. Sand it real well with rough grit. Wipe it down and spray it. Let it dry over night. It looks like the McMillan stock or the remington poly stock. It is very durable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IN RANGE inc said:
If you want it black use the Duplicolor truck bed liner spray. You can get it at Wal-mart. Sand it real well with rough grit. Wipe it down and spray it. Let it dry over night. It looks like the McMillan stock or the remington poly stock. It is very durable.
Is there any need to top coat this with poly to smooth out the finish?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Auburn said:
IN RANGE inc said:
Is there any need to top coat this with poly to smooth out the finish?

No need to topcoat, all you need is the can of spray from walmart. I found it better to let it dry at least 48 hours before reassembly.

I did this Sar-1 and this old shotgun with Duplicolor TBL 2 years ago. They have both held up great. I did the Magazine to match too.

Edited to add * After doing several of these I learned you can make the finish come out smooth or rough depending on what you want. On your final coat, the further you hold the can away adds more texture.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
The AK actually looks pretty cool... got any close ups? How well does it hold up on the wood/the mag?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really like the black SAR....definitely has that "evil" look to it. I may go back to original plan and do the same thing to mine. Once again, way too many options. I guess I'll just have to get more AK's and do them all different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts