AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I refinished the receiver using Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy Black. Matches well with the factory paint on the top cover.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Panzer said:
Thanks for the response guys. That finish does look really good cgp, I'm gonna have to get a can and experiment with it. How does the finish hold up on it to scratches and cleaners?
Stronger than the factory finish, which scratches easy. So far, the receiver holds up to normal use. I don't use Hoppes. Just normal water, soap, and oil.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
+1 to the Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy.

Check out some of the threads in the refinishing section. You can adjust the gloss and texture with different temps and methods of painting. Best indeed to experiment but 400 degree's for an hour works pretty well. Make sure to pre-bake your parts as there can be grease and oil that seeps out when baking. Best to have it seep out before there is paint on the parts.

Paint is fairly scratch resistant. I don't blast or park before painting because I'm lazy, and it holds up well. Hoppes doesn't do anything to it.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
+1 for the appliance epoxy. I used it on my Maadi because it matched the finish pretty well and I still barely have a selector lever mark on my receiver. Pretty tough stuff. If you want less of a gloss, I like the low gloss Duplicolor engine enamel. I baked it at 250 for a 2-3 hours on my AMMS and it's probably just as tough as the appliance epoxy.

Obligatory pics:

·
1,092 Posts
With duracoat it really depends on how you apply it.... HK Semi Gloss is the closest Ive found but you have to drop your PSI to about 25 and apply it exactly opposite of how the instructions say... Instead of 3-4 thin coats you have to do one light coat to cover all surfaces then spray one as heavy and even as possible without runs to get the correct "gloss factor". Ive tried most every black duracoat has except Gloss Black and H&K applied as I mentioned is the closest.

I have a tantal dust cover that I was testing on, if I get a chance I'll post a picture beside the tula, I'm actually building a 86 kit and plan on finishing the receiver this way

1 - 8 of 8 Posts