AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For awhile now I've known at least 3 of my black 'bulgarian' mags were painted, and 2 of them are probably bakelite underneath.

I finally picked up some citristrip, and went to town on the mystery mag.

I've gotten 75% of the paint off, and it's a plum mag! Few more applications and scrubbing and I'll have it all cleaned up.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Thousands of the black painted Russian scrubbed AK74 mags were imported The follower is a tip off as to what you have etc. Scrubbed plums were the vast majority. They strip fairly easily.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yep I even got a few with 90% of the arsenal markings left. Paid dirt cheap for them. All the scrubbed "made in Bulgaria" black ones I have gotten are plum. All the sanatized bakelites will still have the mold numbers intact.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thousands of the black painted Russian scrubbed AK74 mags were imported The follower is a tip off as to what you have etc. Scrubbed plums were the vast majority. They strip fairly easily.
Can I get a quick idea what to look for about the follower?

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I bought a bunch of them back in the day for $10 bucks. When my close friend got his first AK-74, I gave them to him. Man oh man was I pissed when he sent me a pic of 4 plum mags after he figured that out :doh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts