AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I took our P64, my new Taurus PT745 and the MN 91/30 to the range today.
I think he fell in love with the P64. I gave him the instruction on it and fired the first clip to show him what it could do. We shot at spatter targets at 30'. I put five in the bullseye and one on the line around it. That got his attention! He's never seen his old man shoot that well before! (I've taken it out twice now and have the rear site nudged in just so and have it dialed in well in the way I hold and use it! Its an easy gun to get to know.) I let him try it and his first shot was dead center in the bullseye! We took turns clip after clip. Went through 100 rounds of cheap Wolf ammo. The gun was getting dirty near the end and it affected it. Had a few failures to feed. No other problems. That little gun is a tack driver! My son was really proud when a guy in the lane next to us told him "Nice group!" after his first two clips. He was even prouder of himself when I told him the guy was a Navy Seal. (I've met him there before. Quite a neat character. He was there today with his own son.) So the Seal guy insists on my son trying his long barreled .357 Taurus magnum pistol with combat sights. My son put a shot through the 8 ring at 75'! (You shoulda seen his smile too!) He told my son how he hunts deer with it. This is something I love about being at a Marine Camp range. You're always meeting somebody there you can't help but like and learn from. He gave my son some tips and coaching while I watched and my son was putting clip after clip within a 6" pattern dead center in the target with that Polish Mak.
Nothing gets them interested like success! I believe my son is really hooked now! This was his second trip to the range. Last time he out shot me with my own rifle. (SKS) So he's a quick study. Thankfully I've got proper glasses now and some more practice in. So I did better than he did today. But now he wants more practice time. I told him "No problem!". We can go every week if he can make time.
We put 150 rounds through my Taurus PT745 and finished breaking it in well. It was problematic last trip. Combination of new gun and cheap ammo. Now, after 270 rounds it's cycling ammo very well and what few problems we had I can easily attribute to cheap dirty ammo. We had 5 failures to feed and a half dozen failures to fire! The Wolf ammo has harder primer caps than the more expensive stuff. My P64 doesn't mind the cheap ammo, but this gun sure does! Now that it's well broken in I'll get three boxes of the good stuff to take next time. I'm sure it'll be excellent then. As it is, I'm impressed with it's accuracy, excellent trigger and how comfortable it is to shoot. I can shoot groups around the bullseye with it almost as tight as I can with the P64. It shoots dead on to point of aim at 30' and I can consistently group in the 8 ring at 60'. Not bad for a compact .45 with a 3.2" barrel! My son had alot of fun with the Taurus .45, but he kept asking to shoot the P64 for it's excellent accuracy.
We got 25 rounds through the old MG 91/30 and he really liked that! Big BOOM, but a comfortable recoil. That is a really accurate rifle for me. I can shoot it standing with no brace. Not even the sling. Just balance it, accquire the bullseye and squeeze. And I kept the ten shots within a 2" circle pattern next to the bullseye at 25 yds in poor lighting. I let my son do three clips with it and he did pretty well. I think his arms were tired by then. But the target trolly broke so we called it a day. The RM there couldn't get it fixed right away. (I couldn't be too upset. We only had 35 rounds of ammo left with us!)
I love taking my family to the range. My son especially. He really takes instruction well. I think its cool that he likes my old guns best. A real chip off the old block.
Hope you folks had a good Sunday off too!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats on a great bonding experience. Sounds like you had a good time. I can not wait till my step son is old enough. he is only 5 now. You picking any other toys up soon?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Clip... was it a drum clip? :goof:

Magazine: ammunition feeding device with self-contained spring (see AK-47, AR-15. AK-74).

Clip: ammunition feeding device which is inserted into the magazine of a weapon and ejected when the last round is fired (See M-1 Garand, Mannlicher rifles).

Stripper clip: ammunition feeding device which is inserted into the rifle, then the ammunition is stripped from it with downward force. The stripper clip, unlike the clip, is removed before firing commences (see Mosin Nagant, SKS, Mauser, Springfield 03A3 rifles).

Hopper: holds several clips of ammunition, ejecting a clip after all rounds on it have been expended (see Japanease Type-11).

Glad to see you are teaching your son how to shoot. Did you show him how to clean the P-64 (closer to a Walther than a Makarov) after you shot it?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. I stand corrected on those points. :hail:

Yeah. We had an hour and a half of quality time cleaning the guns when we got home. He's very careful, attentive and thorough this way. That just makes me prouder of him. He enjoys that to get know the guns better as much as he enjoys the range time. My son has been helping me in the shop since he was three. By ten he was arc welding. By 12 he could run the lathe. Now at 16 he's studying to become a welder and is the best in his class. He bought a 1982 F150 when he was just 15 with his own money and has now rebuilt every system in it. He even re-did the interior with tuck & roll upholstery. Laid every stitch himself. When he was just six he looked inside a four speed tranny for a bike I was rebuilding and figured out how it all worked. He's a born mechanic.
A buddy of mine came by to pick up a title and a old tranny from me while we were busy cleaning. I had no idea he used to shoot. He hung out half an hour telling us about the handloads he made for himself to target shoot with his old .44 magnum. Then he asked, do they let you take guests to the range? I said sure! He said, I'll buy the ammo and lunch. Looks like it'll be three of us sharing a lane next time.

(Edit) Toys? I seriously need to get my dies built to build the AK kits I have. I'll start chopping steel later this week. My son wants in on that too. I showed him the sketch for the die I want to build. He even offered to do the cutting and tack welding. I have the wood refinished for my first build and parts and stuff to build two. I would like to get a Yugo SKS for my son and a laminated MN to go with my other hardwood stocked MN. I love this hobby!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts