AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Has anyone determined the significance of the two headed eagle crest, there seems to be alot of them.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I want to get a Yugo underfolder... you know, US reciever and barrel, the ones that go for $400. However, I doubt I can get one with those freakin' awesome carvings. Does anyone sell those individually? I would like a carved stock set for mine... and hey, if you have an underfolder stock installed, how hard is it to remove it and then put a wood stock back on, and switch back and forth?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
fred_ex said:
Has anyone determined the significance of the two headed eagle crest, there seems to be alot of them.

The Coat of Arms of Serbia, adopted on August 17, 2004, is a replica of the coat of arms of the former Obrenovic dynasty (first adopted in 1882) and features the white bicephalic eagle of the Nemanjić dynasty (which in turn took on the eagle from the Paleologos dynasty of the Byzantine Empire). An ermine cape of the style once worn by kings is featured in the background.

Blazon: The principal field stands for the Serbian State (Gules a double-headed eagle with wings displayed and inverted Argent, langued, beaked, legged and unguled Or, between two fleurs-de-lys of the third in base), while inescutcheon stands for Serbian Nation (Gules a cross Argent between four fire-steels of the same).

The design on the inescutcheon has been used by Serbian states and church since the Middle Ages. It consists of a cross and four firesteels arranged in the quarters around it, all of them facing horizontally outwards. The firesteels were originally used in the Byzantine imperial coat of arms as stylized Greek letters Β and stood for the imperial motto Basileus Basileon Basileuon Basileusin ("King of kings, ruling over kings") in Greek.

The firesteels look like the modern cyrillic letter С, which represents the /s/ sound. They are often rendered as such, especially when the basic design is drawn by hand. They are commonly associated with the slogan Samo sloga Srbina spasava or Само слога Србина спасава ("Only unity saves Serbs").

Although Serbia is now a republic, the new coat of arms also features the crown of the former Serbian monarchy. A crown in this manner usually signifies a monarchial form of government. However in recent years several Eastern European nations have used a crown to signify their royal heritage. Russia and Poland have similarly both restored coat of arms bearing crowns despite being republics.

Here is mine...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Frostbite-
Thanks for the most detailed explanation, much appreciated.
Your stock carving looks as though it is "raised", very nice!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The carving on my stock is raised. I was very happy to get that kit. I really do need to get a better picture of it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The double headed eagle engravings look like the same thing on my enlisted hat device and armored unit patch from the VRS (Vojska Republike Srpske), or the Bosnian Serb Army, aka Army of the Republika Srpska. This is no longer in existance after the end of the Bosnian War.
Perhaps these weapons were used by the VRS at one point? Id say that would make them of historical value from a short dark period of history not that long ago.

Heres a link showing the VRS coat of arms:

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/new-photos11/yu613c.jpg

note: BPC is crylic for VRS

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
That's what I think makes em so kick ass is they're historic factor..I have read and studied a lot about that war...Cool rifles guy's!!!!!!!!! :allright:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
mohawkALSE said:
The double headed eagle engravings look like the same thing on my enlisted hat device and armored unit patch from the VRS (Vojska Republike Srpske), or the Bosnian Serb Army, aka Army of the Republika Srpska. This is no longer in existance after the end of the Bosnian War.
Perhaps these weapons were used by the VRS at one point? Id say that would make them of historical value from a short dark period of history not that long ago.

Heres a link showing the VRS coat of arms:

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/new-photos11/yu613c.jpg

note: BPC is crylic for VRS

Yep, these were rifles that were captured or turned in at the cessation of hostilities by/from the Serbian militias in Bosnia.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have wood!

Hahaha! First post. I was lucky enough to get some with trench art on them, but..... i am degreasing them at this time as the cosmo was like ear wax. I need some good (correct) advice as to refinishing them, they will be pretty much authentic on the rifles... the pickup look but need something to preserve them. I have used mineral spirits on tham and the old crud is gone... Ok need help fellas!! Thx :grin:

·
Registered
110 Posts
The thing to me that makes these stocks so facinating is the history.

Can anyone recommend a good book about the war? I know very little about it and would like to learn more.

Thanks and excellent carvings and wood furniture.

I wonder if you can find just the forends around so I could put a set on my newly aquired Yugo UF.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Nathan03 said:
Can anyone recommend a good book about the war? I know very little about it and would like to learn more.
Anthony Loyd
My war gone by, I miss it so...

It's a pretty good read..

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
I've read the book, it was pretty decent.

One thing to remember.......there weren't any really good guys in that war, but some were worse than others.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
There are a bunch of good one's..

Beyond the mountains of the damned, is a damned good book...Matthew McAllester wrote it..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts