AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What round has taken the most lives?
Mods, If this topic is deemed unexceptable, please lock with no ill feelings.
I ask because a co-worker made a statement today that the 30/06 was it, I didnt argue the point with him, but it did get me thinking. With it being in US service from 1903 till 1954 (?) it has seen it's fair share of conflict in many weapon configurations. What about 7.62x51 NATO or even 7.62x54R? Both have been around the world and still produced. Alas dont forget 7.62x39, with as many nations and variations, plus shear numbers it's gotta be in the running. Just wondering thought I'd throw it out there, get a hit or two back.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I kind of see the 30-06, and .308 as the same thing (being one was derived from the other). Sure you can load the 06 hotter, but few do. I'm for the 54r, its been around that long for a reason :twisted: .

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
i thought 7.62x39 had it overall.

i believe .22 is the leading cartridge of murder/accidental death in the united states though .

·
Registered
839 Posts
.32 ACP, "it" started the whole downslide into WW1..

--->APB

·
Registered
442 Posts
Several years ago I read somewhere that 22lr held that title...but I don't remember where or when I read it. 8mm .303 and 30-06 were a long ways behind. 7.62 and .223 were at the end of the pack...

22lr won due to being a common round WORLD Wide for over 100 years and being used in MORE murders in EVERY Country than ANY other round...

Try CDC for data on this??? Or maybe UN...just don't remember... :confused:

·
Registered
581 Posts
IF we aren't just naming contemporary Bullets ... I would have to probably say that the bullet that has taken the most lives would have to be the .750 caliber Musket round...The Musket ball used by the (Brown Bess Musket 1722-1838) of the British Empire and her Allies.

Used in the Nepoleonic Wars, War of 1812, French and Indian War, American Revolution, Texas Revolution, Mexican American War... not to mention the countless "Little Wars" in the British Colonies of: India, Southeast Asia, China, Western Africa, North America, The Caribean, South Africa, North Africa, plus many more.
Thats gotta be some Body Count!!! :neutral: :neutral:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8mm is one I forgot about. Never even thought about 22 LR. After I posted I was surfing about looking into black powder calibers. I'm gonna dig in to this for curious sake.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
sway said:
IF we aren't just naming contemporary Bullets ... I would have to probably say that the bullet that has taken the most lives would have to be the .750 caliber Musket round...The Musket ball used by the (Brown Bess Musket 1722-1838) of the British Empire and her Allies.

Used in the Nepoleonic Wars, War of 1812, French and Indian War, American Revolution, Texas Revolution, Mexican American War... not to mention the countless "Little Wars" in the British Colonies of: India, Southeast Asia, China, Western Africa, North America, The Caribean, South Africa, North Africa, plus many more.
Thats gotta be some Body Count!!! :neutral: :neutral:

being a fan of history i have to agree.....i was going to say some sort of musket ball :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Flyingjibus said:
I think 7.62x39 has got to be up there.

It is, afterall, the ethnic cleanser's round of choice.
+1, used extensively in Africa, the Balkans, Checnya and the Middle East.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Flyingjibus said:
I think 7.62x39 has got to be up there.

It is, afterall, the ethnic cleanser's round of choice.
I doubt it... you can't hit chit with them things.... :twisted: :lol:

I kid! I kid!!!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I say .22, 7.62x54mmR and the .75 musket ball should both be somewhere in the top 5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts