AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a older Trek 930 single track bike. Cousin that is recently deployed to Afghan gave it to me. He up graded. I would like to pull the wheel bearing and clean them up and repack them in grease. I know alittle grit has made it in the front wheel. I changed out the tires today on it. I guess Am I going to run into anything that not straight forward? How about that rear wheel ? I'm mechanically inclined . But never been in the guts of a bicycle wheel bearings. I just figured some of yall are into bikes and have serviced your own equipment. Thanks WarDawg

G

·
0 Posts
I would be very careful taking it apart, some wheel bearings use BBs that can fall out easily and roll everywhere. I am not sure about trek.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Most if not all bike shops offer a bike tune-up for about $50 or so. Call you local bike shop[ and ask them about this,and see what it will cost to clean and lube the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Take it in. Wheel bearings are a b1tch to get right. Let the pros do the job. Oh and it requires special tools.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Rear bearing packs are no problem. You might just replace the bearings
as they do wear out over time and sometimes just repacking them
will still give you a rough feel to the wheel when it spins.
You will need a special tool to remove the Rear cluster to get good access to
the hub. They arent that hard to remove if you have the right tool and
a good bench vise.

they are nice bikes...

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Any decent bike shop will repack wheel bearings for about $50. TheTrek 930 is a mid level bike; it may have sealed bearings or it may not. If the hubset is sealed bearing set, you'll have a tough time without the special tools needed.

A general rule about repacking wheel bearings is to do it every 1000 miles (about the same time you change the chain) if these are not sealed, if sealed, then every 2500 miles. That is with daily use. If the bike sits around, repack the wheels every two years.

To learn more about working on bikes, pick Zinn's or Richard's bike maintenance books. Park tools and Snap on tools (Trek) are available at most bike shops. Both companies make a decent consumer toolset for $150. A decent bike stand makes work on bikes easier. These cost anywhere from $75 to $300.

Good luck. Have fun with the bike.

Nu2AKSKS

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
it be great to see wardawg pedaling to the next battlerifel match.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah crazychris it's only a little over a 100 miles :grin: . But thanks guys I will check into a bike shop and see what they will charge. I don't want to screw it up. Thanks again, WarDawg

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
In addition to looking at the wheelbearings, you just might want to have it overhauled.

The bike tune-up usually only involves cable adjustment/replacement and derailleur/brake adjustment. Bearing races and other adjustments are not included. This is anywhere from free-$50.

Wheel bearing repacking usually is $40-50.

If the bike has been sitting awhile without regular maintenance, you might want to consider a complete overhaul (this usually involves repack of all bearings (headset, bottom bracket, all hubsets) and complete adjustment/replacement of all cables. This usually runs from $100-150 depending on where you live.

Another web resource for you to look at is http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/index.htm. Ken Kifer had a strong web following because of the wonderful info he had on his pages. The pages are chock full of good advice. Unfortunately he was murdered by a drunk driver last year.

If you are looking at doing medium length rides (20-100 miles), he has some good advice for getting prepared.

Again, I hope all works out.

Nu2AKSKS

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
wardog-if your not in a rush to get it fixed,bring it to the next crpc battlerifle match.i used to race bmx and mountain bikes and i know my way around them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts