AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would be more reliable and accurate?

A typical Russian/Chinese SVD?

OR

A Garand Sniper Variant rifle?

Just out of curiosity, I guess you could also compare the M14 if you wanted too, even though I think the garand is more accurate than it's little brother.

I think they would be pretty dead even in all around categories, save for the ammo you use right?

·
Registered
156 Posts
My predictions:

Accuracy: Garand>SVD
Reliability SVD> Garand

:cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
MauserMark said:
The garand is actually more accurate than the SVD? That's hard for me to believe.
I would bet that, but its just a guess. Id love to see a range report from you lucky bastards who have both. :grin:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well I have a Garand with a mint bore, Springfield Armory and have shot Federal AE 30-06 and surplus, and it never out-shot my ARs. :neutral:

there's probably a lot more factors there though.

·
Registered
621 Posts
This is from someone who has never owned or shot an svd or variant....But from the range reports and pics I have seen of grouping.....They are not all that accurate.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have never seen a real test of the accuracy of an SVD, as for the Garand/M1a/AR. My AR's will outshoot my buddy's garand any day of the week. As for M1as or M-14s My Issue M-16a4 would outshoot any of the M-14 (designated marksman) rifles we were issued. The "off the rack" M-14s did not shoot very strait. (3-4 MOA) in my experience.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Alot of the "Accuracy Issues" with the SVD,Tigr and PSL are more ammo related than the rifle its self.You can only do so much with surplus ammo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe I saw another post that addressed the ammunition issue. I think that the SVD with the correct ammunition (match) issued by the Russian/Chinese (etc) militaries is considerably more accurate than the milsurp 7.62x54.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I've used all of the ones you're talking about.....my experiences:

Chinese NDM-86 in 7.62x54mmR.....with Wolf 148 gr. FMJ accuacy was "OK", but not "sniper-grade", about where a decent M14 would be. Now, I haven't had the opportunity to get ahold of any match grade 7.62x54mmR and I'm sure that makes a huge difference.

M1 Garand vs. M14.......actually with the short gas system of the M14 and the cartridge, the M14 usually outshoots the M1 Garand. Garands are beautifully designed rifles but the M14 was a product improved Garand. In high power competition, the M14 spanks the M1, althought the AR-15 spanks them both.

As far as reliablity/durability, I don't think there's a huge difference between the Garand/M14/SVD. All are extremely reliable.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MauserMark said:
Well I have a Garand with a mint bore, Springfield Armory and have shot Federal AE 30-06 and surplus, and it never out-shot my ARs. :neutral:

there's probably a lot more factors there though.
Yeah the AR is just an accurate rifle by design, hard to beat. Only second in my opinion to a bolt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts