AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good ones....$180-$220 for a rear....$120-$150 for a front. Not cheap for something that lasts 2500 miles (rear anyways)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I let the bike shop take care of that.

Funny this thread pops up just as I have a new rear tire in the garage. Pulling the wheel tonight.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This new to me 2002 Honda Magna I just bought has brand new Michelin Commander II tires on it and they seem sticky like Dunlops but are supposed to last longer. I also have had good experience with Shinko tires in the past.

Problem I have is the Hypermotard has a lot of torque. I usually run Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's which have treated me well although haven't always had the most stable feeling when running them hard in corners. That and while I have a spirited throttle hand, I don't go to the point of abusing the tires (no burnouts, stoppies, skidding) and still am lucky to get 2500 mi out of a rear and 6k out of a front. I went with Dunlops once and while they're sticky, they hold on to a certain point and then let go without warning which is enough to make you want to change your boxer shorts. Wasn't happy with them and went back to the Pirelli DRC's, which will start to slide before breaking loose but are very soft and wear quickly on this bike despite it weighing less than 400lbs. Just bought a set of Pirelli Angel GT's to try out. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I commute on the bikes every single day (especially now that monsoon season is over). I need longevity in a tire but still need something sticky enough to handle my riding in the mountains on the weekends. I'll find something eventually...hopefully the Angel GT's are the solution...

Glock....nice ride. I can see myself on something like that in a few years once my knees start giving me problems again. Until then I'll continue to beat them up on the dual sport and on the Duc...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Pilot Powers have been very sticky/predictable on my motards....Not going to last any longer than your Pirellis I'm guessing...too much torque is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
sometimes I don't like to talk tires because it's like talking about which is the best oil to use and everyone has different opinions and most people have different riding habits and needs.

I love Pirelli as a whole,including car tires. they take me back to when I was a kid and they were standard equipment on high performance vehicles. Michelins are ever popular as usual and also command top $.

...but I find there's a brand that some ignore but they really shouldn't. Metzeler. I put a set on my aprilia and was rewarded with great handling,precision,grip,confidence and long life. i'm thinking for your bike the Roadtec Z8 Interact. tires are all about compromise,..for a little more grip but shorter life,the Sportec M5 Interact but it sounds to me that for you,the Roadtec would be better.

don't underestimate metzeler because they're not the tire that every kid and their posse wants on their bikes,which is usually Michelin or Pirelli(both for good reasons though,not taking anything away). metzeler is a german company that does top notch R&D and T&E with high technology and specialize on motorcycle tires. their history goes back literally to when the motorcycle was invented. their more recent fame,some decades ago,came when nobody was able to satisfy many custom cruisers who wanted a really fat tire at the rear,metzeler had the technology and the tire,...more recent fame also came from racing with their racetec tires and CompK compounds and have won countless races for individuals buying their own tires.

anyway,well,there you go. opinions vary of course but I was surprised how good they were when I first used them.

strickly my opinion but I would only buy motorcycle tires that were made in the USA,germany,france,Italy or japan,..or if the actual production was somewhere else,extreme quality control but the science from these countries.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sometimes I don't like to talk tires because it's like talking about which is the best oil to use and everyone has different opinions and most people have different riding habits and needs.

I love Pirelli as a whole,including car tires. they take me back to when I was a kid and they were standard equipment on high performance vehicles. Michelins are ever popular as usual and also command top $.

...but I find there's a brand that some ignore but they really shouldn't. Metzeler. I put a set on my aprilia and was rewarded with great handling,precision,grip,confidence and long life. i'm thinking for your bike the Roadtec Z8 Interact. tires are all about compromise,..for a little more grip but shorter life,the Sportec M5 Interact but it sounds to me that for you,the Roadtec would be better.

don't underestimate metzeler because they're not the tire that every kid and their posse wants on their bikes,which is usually Michelin or Pirelli(both for good reasons though,not taking anything away). metzeler is a german company that does top notch R&D and T&E with high technology and specialize on motorcycle tires. their history goes back literally to when the motorcycle was invented. their more recent fame,some decades ago,came when nobody was able to satisfy many custom cruisers who wanted a really fat tire at the rear,metzeler had the technology and the tire,...more recent fame also came from racing with their racetec tires and CompK compounds and have won countless races for individuals buying their own tires.

anyway,well,there you go. opinions vary of course but I was surprised how good they were when I first used them.

strickly my opinion but I would only buy motorcycle tires that were made in the USA,germany,france,Italy or japan,..or if the actual production was somewhere else,extreme quality control but the science from these countries.

Yeah most tire threads on bike/car forums are like .45 vs 9mm or AR vs AK threads...grown men bickering like children while attempting to justify their decision and the money they spent on that decision.

Looked into the Metzlers. Ended up passing on them because they were similar in price to a few other brands/products that were reviewed very well both online and by friends who track their bikes regularly. I'm not opposed to giving them a shot though and will definietly consider them next time around if the Angel GT's don't suit my needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts