Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Instant gratification from Ratworx

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my STG-556 from Ratworx here in Illinois about 3 weeks ago. I take it out a week later, shoots great, but the integral optic had a lens come loose. I called MSAR, they said send it in, so I unbolt the dedicated optic (leaving me with no sights at all) and figure it will take a week turnaround and they will just send me a new optic.

Here we are a week later, and I call to see if I am going to have the optic back by this weekend for my range trip. I spoke to the gunsmith, who couldn't confirm the optic had been received (post office delivery tag confirms it was) and get told that 'the optics room probably has it and will swap out the optics tube, but they don't have any right now, they are on order." When I ask if this is goign to be one week, two weeks, a month, the response was "soon." Needless to say, I was a little less than impressed thus far. I did call in advance to tell them I had a broken optic, and the lack of replacement ones was not mentioned. Nor did they offer to take a good tube out of a built rifle which would seem to be the next logical step.

In any case, I am now left with a nice, new rifle that I can't shoot due to lack of any sighting system, and no definite date when it will be replaced.

That leaves me with three options, per the poll:

1. Wait it out.
2. Buy an optics rail from an online retailer for the best price I can find, miss taking it to the range this weekend.
3. Suck it up, drive an hour West, pay the extra $30 over cheapest I can find and pick one up from Ratworx tomorrow night. instant gratification.

Obviously this thread is mostly about venting my frustration, just wanted to know what anyone woudl do in my situation. :neutral:

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cooled off today, the s/o gave me good advice as usual- wait a week, call back, and if they still can't give me an ETA on the dedicated optic I should get the rail for the best price I can find.
:smile:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Where is the fourth option?

Get some kind of BUIS system, preferably as close to original SIG as possible but of course, functionality first. Then wait it out on the optic or buy a better one and keep the sights as a back up.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
amazing that a 2500 dollar rifle has problems right out of the box - sign of the times I guess.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me clarify, this is an MSAR STG-556, aka AUG clone, not a SIG 556. Wihtout the integral optic or rail, I don't have any way to mount another iron sight system!

...and I guess I should have mentioend that the first time I called, they had not had anoyone have an optic break up until my gun. And the rifle with integral optic only cost me $1450, not $2500.

LOL, shoot from the hip...yes, I did consider that!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would get the rail. The nice thing about the 556 is you have the option to use what you want. If you have both, the rail can be set up with a red dot, night vision, or more powerful optics. Switch out at your leisure. Also, if you decide you prefer one over the other, sell the extra.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
+1 on the rail, it would seem to give you the most options and interchangability.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Whoops, my mistake. Is yours an A1 clone?

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Q-gunner2 said:
Whoops, my mistake. Is yours an A1 clone?
No problem, and essentially, yes- it is the one that has the Aug style optic bolted on. Right now the recever has three big screws sitcking out where the optics mount should be- maybe I can use them as BUIS! :lol:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I said get one from Ratworx, but that assumes you have an optic around to put on the rail when you get it.

If you plan on shooting this rifle a lot, eventually you will probably want to try a different optic anyway. Best bet is an Aimpoint, but who knows, maybe you'll want a scope with more magnification. Anyway, you would probably have gotten the optics rail anyway, you'll just do it sooner than planned.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the optics rail online yesterday- that way I will have it by next Friday so I can go shooting on the weekend. :cool:

I do have a couple of spare optics laying around and have deicded to try some options, and I realized that if the dedicated optic ever did go tits up I would be screwed again without a way to mount another optics system. besides, I might find something I like better, and this also opens up options for iron sights.

Maybe I'll just mount an AR-15 front sight and carry handle on the new rail when it gets here! :eek: :twisted:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts