AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new "smartphone" today and was curious as to your feedback on these technologies. I used to have a Samsung Blackjack through AT&T and it was a piece of shit. The phone coverefge sucked and so did the phone.

I am going to use Verizon service since they seem to have the best coverage. Should I go with the Blackberry or the Treo? I do not like the slide phone so they are not an option.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
skrilla said:
i like the blackberry phones. the new iphone came out today. its cheaper...
Iphones are taking a serious 'beating' right now acording to the AP. Buggy

AP said:
EW YORK (AP) -- The launch of Apple Inc.'s much-anticipated new iPhone turned into an information-technology meltdown on Friday, as customers were unable to get their phones working.

"It's such grief and aggravation," said Frederick Smalls, an insurance broker in Whitman, Mass., after spending two hours on the phone with Apple and AT&T Inc., trying to get his new iPhone to work.

In stores, people waited at counters to get the phones activated, as lines built behind them. Many of the customers had already camped out for several hours in line to become among the first with the new phone, which updates the one launched a year ago by speeding up Internet access and adding a navigation chip.

A spokesman for AT&T, the exclusive carrier for the iPhone in the U.S., said there was a global problem with Apple's iTunes servers that prevented the phones from being fully activated in-store, as had been planned.

Instead, employees are telling buyers to go home and perform the last step by connecting their phones to their own computers, spokesman Michael Coe said.

However, the iTunes servers were equally hard to reach from home, leaving the phones unusable except for emergency calls.

The problem extended to owners of the previous iPhone model. A software update released for that phone on Friday morning required the phone to be reactivated through iTunes.

"It's a mess," said freelance photographer Giovanni Cipriano, who updated his first-generation iPhone only to find it unusable.

Apple shares fell $4.04, or 2.3 percent, to $172.59 in afternoon trading, amid a general decline in U.S. stocks.

When the first iPhone went on sale a year ago, customers performed the whole activation procedure at home, freeing store employees to focus on sales. But the new model is subsidized by carriers, and Apple and AT&T therefore planned to activate all phones in-store to get customers on a contract.

The new phone went on sale in 21 countries on Friday, creating a global burden on the iTunes servers.

The iPhone has been widely lauded for its ease of use and rich features, but Apple is a newcomer to the cell-phone business, and it's made some missteps. When it launched the first phone in the U.S. a year ago, it initially priced the phones high, at $499 and $599, then cut the price by $200 just 10 weeks later, throwing early buyers for a loop.

Rollouts to other countries were slow, as Apple tried to get carriers on board with its unusual pricing scheme, which included monthly fees to Apple. The business model of the new phone follows industry norms, and the price is lower: $199 or $299 in the U.S.

On Thursday, Apple had problems with the launch of a new data service, MobileMe. The service is designed to synchronize a users personal data across devices, including the iPhone, but many users were denied access to their accounts.

Enthusiasm was high ahead of the Friday morning launch of the new phone.

Alex Cavallo, 24, was one of hundreds lined up at the Fifth Avenue store, just as he had been a year ago for the original iPhone. He sold that one recently on eBay in anticipation of the new one. In the meantime, he has been using another phone, which felt "uncomfortable."

"The iPhone is just a superior user experience," he said. The phone also proved a decent investment for him: He bought the old model for $599 and sold it for $570.

Nick Epperson, a 24-year-old grad student, spent the night outside an AT&T store in Atlanta, keeping his cheer up with bags of Doritos, three games of Scrabble and two packs of cigarettes. Asked why he was waiting in line, he responded simply "Chicks dig the iPhone."

IPhone fever was strong even in Japan, where consumers are used to tech-heavy phones that do restaurant searches, e-mail, music downloads, reading digital novels and electronic shopping. More than 1,000 people lined up at the Softbank Corp. store in Tokyo and the phone quickly sold out.

"Just look at this obviously innovative design," Yuki Kurita, 23, said as he emerged from buying his iPhone, carrying bags of clothing and a skateboard he had used as a chair during his wait outside the Tokyo store. "I am so thrilled just thinking about how I get to touch this."

The phone went on sale first in New Zealand, where hundreds of people lined up outside stores to snap it up right at midnight - 8 a.m. Thursday in New York.

"Steve Jobs knows what people want," Web developer Lucinda McCullough told the Christchurch Press newspaper, referring to Apple's chief executive. "And I need a new phone."

In Germany, sales were brisk at local carrier T-Mobile's stores, particularly in Munich, Hamburg and Cologne, said spokeswoman Marion Kessing.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Friend just got got a new Iphone well he got the new 3G he previously had the old Iphone.

Right out of the box he synced his all his old data from the one he had from his mac onto his new IPhone and it worked fine. I was pretty impressed with ti.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I bought a Blackberry 8830. Phone seems pretty neat and is exactly what I need for work. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Out of the Trio, iphone, and every smart phone made I like the Blackberry.

The interface is simple and geared towards the main uses of a phone and organizer. It retains all the fancy smart phone options, but puts the ones your more likely to use most often at the forefront of the GUI.

It may not do everything like the iphone, but I've always believed multitasking is doing multiple things poorly instead of one thing well.

All these other phones try to do everything the iphone does and more. They are all trying to do so many things that their original functions are non intuitive and cluttered to find and use.

The iphone is cool, but the day I buy an Apple product besides an iPod is the day a paper dog chases an asbestos cat through hell.

I can't use Apple products, the stench of their smug attitude is too much.
for me

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
AK-47 said:
I am buying a new "smartphone" today and was curious as to your feedback on these technologies. I used to have a Samsung Blackjack through AT&T and it was a piece of shit. The phone coverefge sucked and so did the phone.

I am going to use Verizon service since they seem to have the best coverage. Should I go with the Blackberry or the Treo? I do not like the slide phone so they are not an option.

Thanks.
I have a Samsung Blackjack and they'll take it when they pry it from my cold dead hands. Web, mail, & phone. Everything you need. I truly love it and have been using it for ~18 months.

My wife has Treo and it is twice the thickness of the Blackjack. She loves it but needed the PDA for work. With the slime battery on the Blackjack you forget you have it. I resisted the Blackjack and then once I had one took about 45 minutes to get comfortable with. One of the mobile mags gave it the highest rating of all the Windows based units too. There is now a second generation version that is supposedly an order of magnitude better than the first. It's on my list.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've had a Verizon 8830 for about 15 months and it's been a great device. Great coverage in North America and works like a charm in Europe. I am waiting for the new Blackberry Thunder iPhone killer to come out this fall.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i've got to lay my hands on both the blackberry and the iphone, i discovered i have no use for either one since i dont even carry my Nokia on me most of the time.

i did like the black berry more than the iphone, since it is more business oriented as opposed to the iphone which seemed to have more "toys" in it. i guess i'm just a meat n potatoes kinda guy. so i'll be hanging on to my 5 year old Nokia.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I got a Verizon VZ6800 last month and so far I love it. I wish the battery life was better but other than that I wouldn't change much about it.

The HTC Touch was my other option and I think it's very nice but HTC is coming out with a new version in November that is going to make a lot of jaws drop!

If you're going with Verizon look at either the 6900 or the 6800.

·
Registered
581 Posts
my wife and I bought our iPhone's back in feb and we use ours everyday to check emails and search the web. My wife loves the iPod feature and I usually upload a movie and watch it at work (I just got lord of war). I know that iPhones get a lot of bad press but the only down side I've experienced was the price 800. Bucks for 2 ... .unfortunately I bought ours a few months before they announced the cheaper iPhone's... With all the cool downloads and upgrades including the pretty good camera, sweet iPod, and the ease of being able to take any DVD from my collection and upload it on my phone. It's been great and makes that high price not hurt to much.

·
Registered
392 Posts
have gone thru 7 blackberrys in the last 13 months. on my 3rd different model. issues ranging from poor telephone reception to no service in metro areas to faiure of email to send. have been happy that att has replaced all the phones w/o question and on their dime but i rely on this for work. if i did not need email "push" i would get a 3g iphone but until i dont haver to physically pull or log to my email i am stuck w the 'berry...word on the street from my treo user friends is that im lucky and treo is worse

1 - 15 of 15 Posts