AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Winchester today.Got to love a gas operated 30-06,Can't wait to shoot it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
CMP?

We (my father and I) recently aquired a CMP SA M1 off the EE, in exc. condition. They're amazing guns, but a bitch to clean! (especially if you're using surplus corrosive ammo!).

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup its from the CMP.$622 out the door.

I don't think they are that bad to clean with the corrosive.Squirt alittle windex with ammonia down the barrel,strip the wood off and hose it down with brake cleaner,apply oil and your Good to go.

Besides the non-corrosive ammo is pricey.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Muttly said:

I don't think they are that bad to clean with the corrosive.Squirt alittle windex with ammonia down the barrel,strip the wood off and hose it down with brake cleaner,apply oil and your Good to go.

yep, I take off the main stock body, take apart the gas system, and clean like hell with tough solvents. :mrgreen:

still a lot more involved than cleaning a bolt gun.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MauserMark said:
Muttly said:

yep, I take off the main stock body, take apart the gas system, and clean like hell with tough solvents. :mrgreen:

still a lot more involved than cleaning a bolt gun.
Very true :smile:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dieter122 said:
i dont disassemble the bolts on my Nagants, or K98 when I clean them after shooting....is that ok? They are clean after shooting.
I rarely disassemble any of my bolts except that damned AR.I usaully just flush them with spray solvent.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The guy who runs surplusrifle.com says it's a good idea to dissassemble the bolts (on bolt guns) if using corrosive. Mainly because that whole area in the receiver and around the bolt head will slowly build up the corrosive salts.

And it's not like either the mosin or the K98 bolts can't be broken down within 20 seconds or so. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been thinking about picking up a K98 for the collection.Are they really as nice as everyone says?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Muttly said:
I've been thinking about picking up a K98 for the collection.Are they really as nice as everyone says?
I find them the most attractive of all the bolt guns of the WWI-WWII era, but that's a personal taste since I was a kid.

The sights generally aren't that good for most, especially if you're used to the U.S. style peep sight. The K98 has been said by some to be not the most ergonomical when shouldering and aiming. I personally find the mosin nagant easier to shoulder and find a target, but the K98 still remains my favorite for collecting.

Like any bolt gun of the era (the K98) it has a stout kick, mainly do to the fact that it's shooting out a 200gr bullet unless you get some of the lighter 148gr Romanian surplus, everything else seems to be around the 200g weight.

They're accurate guns, the extractor and locking mechanism of the bolt is said to be the best ever made for a bolt gun, and as you can see, by the end of WWI, most bolt guns were either mausers, mauser clones (1903, enfield) or inferior.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I'm pretty evenly split betwwen Mausers and Mosins, at least for what I like. Get yourself a RC K98, these are German K98's that were captured and refurbed by the Soviets. A mauser with a Soviet connection, can it get any better than that? Just realize that these are not real "collectable" due to the reworking.

I need one! :twisted:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I really like that Mosin 91/30 I got recently. I splurged today and used my C&R for the first time. I ordered in a Yugo 27/47 Mauser in special select condit. The Lady at Classic Arms described it as a NRA very good to excellent condition. I want one to shoot and these looked really nice. I also ordered in a Yugo SKS in shooter grade for my son to use. At recent gun shows I saw Yugo SKS's in lousy condition being passed off as very good! Rust, cracked stocks, yeck. She pulled one and described theirs and sounded very good for the money. It'll be a nice challenge for my son to clean up, refinish and use!
After enjoying that Mosin more than I thought I would at the range, I became fascinated with getting a nice Mauser. I never would have thought bolt rifles were addictive too! :wink:

·
Registered
943 Posts
MauserMark said:
CMP?

We (my father and I) recently aquired a CMP SA M1 off the EE, in exc. condition. They're amazing guns, but a bitch to clean! (especially if you're using surplus corrosive ammo!).

Which is why I still haven't shot my M1.

When it comes to the WWII boltgun, I say get one of each (that's what I'm doing :cool: )

I'd say, though I'm no authority, that the RCs aren't collectable........yet.

Also, if you shot a boltgun using corrosive ammo, would you be safe to just drop the whole bolt in a bucket of Windex?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Get ready...

I spent over 6 hours cleaning my friends Yugo SKS.

Tip: get a HUGE towel you can ruin. When the gun comes in, set it on this towel and then take it apart, piece by piece. Take everything but the trigger group apart. Lay all the parts out on the towel. Get a bunch of rags and solvents and some M.A.A.S. or Flitz polish.

For the stock and handgaurd, wrap it in newspaper and set it by a hot stove... or, wrap it in paper and then a black trash bag and then set it in the sun for a few hours. The heat soaks out the cosmoline.

As far as the barrel... make sure you have a non-damaging rod and a good phosphor-bronze bore brush.

ETA: I do not use Ammonia/Windex. Ammonia has an acidic reaction when it comes into contact with metal. It's a small reaction, but it does do damage on a small level. I simply use regular old oil and a bore brush. Salts can't damage my bore if they aren't IN my bore. I have shot over 100 rounds through my 91/30, all corrosive, I have had it for over a year and the barrel is mint. No ammonia.

You do not NEED to clean the bolt. If you do, then you have worse problems than the barrel. The bolt action rifle is intended to be a secure seal, the gas should ONLY be in the barrel. If there is gas in the chamber/on the bolt, then:

1. You completely cycle the bolt in under .00025 seconds.
2. Your rifle has a firing pin that extends too far, thus puncturing the primer and letting gas escape. This can be deadly.
3. Your ammo is crappy and the neck cracks and lets gas escape. Also dangerous.

Taking apart the bolt and cleaning it won't hurt, but there is no reason to do it. If you notice punctured primers or cracked necks, then you need to clean the chamber and bolt, but you also need to check the firing pin protrusion and headspace on your rifle, or try different ammo.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mbsk01 said:
MauserMark said:
CMP?

Which is why I still haven't shot my M1.
Thats why I bought this one.I have a HRA with a barrel that is in the white,gauges at a 1 and a 1.5.This Winnie is going to be my shooter,it gauges at 3.5 and 4

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Oh I'm REAL familiar with cleaning the cosmo off a Yugo SKS! I bought a unissued one for myself in Nov. I spent half a day cleaning it and loved it! There was a beautiful rifle under all that stuff! That was good fun!
I plan on wrapping plastic wrap around it to contain the cosmo and then put it in the hard rifle case I got at K-Mart ($5!) the other day and present it to my son for his birthday in May.
He's as bad a geek as I am when it comes to working on old stuff. (Working on things is half the fun!) He'll love it! He has shot and helped to clean my own Yugo SKS a couple times now. He's a natural at it. Of my four rifles, that's his favorite too.
I'll tell him that once I'm satisfied with his clean up job only then will I take him to the range.
Naturally, it'll be locked up unless he's under my direct supervision to clean it and use it. But I work full time from my home shop (Cycle upholsterer) so I'm always around if he needs me or wants to work on something. After he's an adult and out on his own with a safe place for it, then I'll formally transfer it to him. So it'll be "his". But it'll be my responsibility for a couple more years.
I have a Chinese pre-ban SKS with spike bayonet I bought a couple months back on a whim and haven't even shot yet. I just cleaned and inspected it and put it away. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow to see how I like it. For some reason it doesn't grab me like the Yugos do. The Yugos really make a "beefy" rifle. I like that. Can't wait to see the Yugo Mauser next week!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Chill man, no worries. He can own a long gun just like you can as long as he isn't a felon and has not committed a violent misdomenor.

I quote:

"(B15) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)? [Back]

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e. g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting. [18 U. S. C. 922( x)] "

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b15

So let us say your kid is walking through the woods on your property with his SKS. He can, LEGALLY, say that he has it for protection against dogs. Nobody can arrest either of you as the possession was lawful and since handguns are specifically excluded (although a letter can change that) nobody can say his choice was poor. Or, he could also be hunting, assuming it is legal to hunt in that area with rifles and he is 50 feet from a road, 300 feet from someone elses house, etc. No liscense is needed to hunt on property owned by immediate family (brother, sister, mother, father, son, daughter).

The above is VA, so take note of that. I saw you were in VA so figured I would let you in on that piece of information. Technically as long as he is on your own property (if you can shoot there) he can also shoot it by himself. It was lawfully purchased for him and it is NOT reckless endangerment; he knew how to use it and it was specifically purchased for him, he didn't "find it" by accident.

If you follow the above, make sure he is 100% safe though. No unlawful firearms possesion, but if he handles it wrong that is wreckless handling of a firearm.

The law sucks, but read it closely, we generally have more freedoms than we care to accept or notice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts