AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my parents gave me the wonderful job of hacking down whatever growth is growing on the hill behind the house, i am going to use a kukri for this job, last year sucked lugging the scythe up and down the hill....so on to my question.....where is a good place to buy a kukri?? i am looking for a moderate quality one, wood handle, quality blade, can hold an edge for a long time, preferably under 100 bucks though...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Cold Steel makes a couple of decent ones, but they do not have the wood handle ythat you want..

--->APB

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have a Cold Steel Kukri I bought around '93 that is a mean bitch. I have cut EVERYTHING with it. Pennies, bamboo, trees, thorns, a chickens head once. It rules.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here is the one I got from Khukri House after doing a lot of research.

Full tang for ultimate strength, handle is sized for western hands, and a hole on the bottom of the tang for a lanyard.

The obligatory accessory blade(karda) is perfect for skinning/gutting small game. It is a real working blade, not just something thrown in to please the tourists.

Only downside to these blades is because they were hand forged from a leaf spring, the carbon content is high enough they will need to be cared for by oiling the blades to keep the rust away. I consider that small effort for quality working blades.

Price was around 75-80 bucks with shipping to Oregon.

I would buy another.

-urban

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a Cold Steel Kukri I bought around '93 that is a mean bitch. I have cut EVERYTHING with it. Pennies, bamboo, trees, thorns, a chickens head once. It rules.
+100. Cold Steel khukris will cut through anything. :hail: :hail: :hail:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
tag, ive been wanting one of these for awhile now!

has anyone seen the video thats filmed in like India or something where the guy with the giant kurki chops the head off a cow! its pretty crazy if you ever see it lol.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I have wanted to buy one of these as a replacement to a typical machate for a while now but don't want one that, as said above, is "tourist grade".

How does this one stack up?

http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/C...p?PID=eecca5b6365d9607ee5a9d336962c534|5f484f

Or this? http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/C...p?PID=6a9aeddfc689c1d0e3b9ccc3ab651bc5|5c4848

I like the classic style handle... dark wood with brass or silver hardware... but functionality comes first. How are the blades on the above weapons? Are they just display quality or better than?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Own two
one Cold Steel that can get scary sharp the other is Ontario knife works heavy blade and is also scary sharp.Owned a few like i saw and they are nice but are soft on the RC scale and dull easy.
I am a knife guy and the modern steels for the blade style are outstanding.Spin the blade around and the dull heavy back makes a great striking weapon.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
bobehud said:
Own two
one Cold Steel that can get scary sharp the other is Ontario knife works heavy blade and is also scary sharp.Owned a few like i saw and they are nice but are soft on the RC scale and dull easy.
I am a knife guy and the modern steels for the blade style are outstanding.Spin the blade around and the dull heavy back makes a great striking weapon.
To include the ones from the link I posted? I don't want to buy a dud, and I am sure the OP doesn't either.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You have to understand that there is a world of difference between a handmade blade from HI/KH, and a blade made with modern techniques from Ontario or Cold Steel.

The handmade blade is just that... handmade.

No two blades will ever be exactly alike. The one that you buy is essentially one of a kind. Created with a minimum of power tools by craftsmen who have been making them for years.

The steel comes usually comes from car & truck leaf springs, and after being made it is usually differentially tempered by an experienced builder using water from a teapot!

Here is a link from Khukri House showing the entire process... http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/Content/Makings/Khukuri.php

The modern production blades are mass produced using high quality steel, and modern construction techniques.

Their steel has been assayed and tested so that the manufacturers know exactly what it will do or won't. Everything is about the shortest production time possibly to make a good quality product.

Tempering is done not by hand, but on an assembly line by a machine, resulting in a very consistent product.

Creation of one of these types of blades uses no more human interaction than a company creating say, a desk lamp.

There is nothing wrong with that if you are looking for a tool that will work every time.

I am a Khukri House blade owner, and I think I get that quality, PLUS I get the individual craftsmanship of a handmade blade.

Is my blade aesthetically perfect in every sense? No, and that is part of its charm to me.

A blade from any of the above companies, whether modern or primitive, will do what you require, but you need to know how much individuality means to you.

I hope this helped.

-urban

·
Registered
399 Posts
The hand made blades are a wonderful novelty but if used much at all dull very quickly because of the tea pot temper job.I build blades for a hobby and am a knife guy like some are dog people.They are a passion and yes your right i am more concerned with function over form.I still have the wooden sheath handmade blades-but when the rubber hits the road my Cold Steel is my favorite.
Here is a simple tested i use for any blade i make (i make lrg bowie style knives)
i clamp about a 4 ft section of a standard 2x4 in vise 'tight' and then i proceed to chop it in half.Try the handmade 'people' knife and then a Cold steel and see which one goes thru that 2x4 faster and with a great deal less effort.
Not a slam i guess its whatever you buy the knife for 'looks' or function.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I prefer form of function also, that's why I chose this blade...

instead of something shiny and ornamental. My blade is a worker and isn't coddled in any way. I actually admire the overall quality of the Cold Steel blades, but I think I have a good balance between form AND function in my handmade one.

I'm also not too worried about a knife getting dull, that means it is getting used :wink: !

-urban

1 - 20 of 22 Posts