AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took 4 total, Older male and female, young male and female. Older 2 were a bit tough, but all around the meat was juicy and flavorful like really good dark meat chicken.

I'd never shot, dressed, cooked, or eaten a squirrel until Sunday/today. Incredibly easy process all around and one I expect to repeat.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Poor little squirrels. While I think that hunting/cooking/eating them is okiedokie, I couldn't do it myself.......they're just so cute.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Did you soak them first? I remember my grandmother used to soak them in (I think) water + something (salt,vinegar) before cooking them. It helps to remove any "gaminess" in them.

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I had 4 whole squirrels. Rinsed them with cold water about 3 times total between the hunt and soaking.

Soaked them in 1/4 cup white vinegar and 2 tbsp Sea salt with enough water to cover them. Changed the water after about 8 hours and replaced the solution, soaked for another 8 or so.

·
Registered
21,746 Posts
after they've chewed holes in your roof you'll get over that fast.
Or ruin your hunt by bitching at you from a tree.

I was deer hunting several years ago and some damn squirrel was chattering at me while i was sitting there waiting... got annoyed and put the crosshairs of my rifle on it.. and it actually shut up.

No I didn't shoot it (300 WSM... that would have been interesting) but I didn't bag any deer either.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

I was deer hunting several years ago and some damn squirrel was chattering at me while i was sitting there waiting... got annoyed and put the crosshairs of my rifle on it.. and it actually shut up.

No I didn't shoot it (300 WSM... that would have been interesting) but I didn't bag any deer either.
Same thing happened to me on an archery Elk hunt in Arizona. I was in a nice spot on a watering hole. Little bastard.

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts

Sniper.png NEVER.. under estimate your enemies capabilities, 10G

·
Registered
21,746 Posts
View attachment 630 NEVER.. under estimate your enemies capabilities, 10G
I really.. really had to convince myself not to paste the little bastard... and if I didn't have to explain myself to my dad.. I probably would have.

Reactions: TRAAK's

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
This must be squirrel Saturday, what with the infamous Saturday warning glorifying squirrels in another lackluster attempt at humor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts