AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about 2 shotguns either a mossberg 500 or a remington 870 model plan on using it for home defense. The mossberg is easier on my wallet, but i wonder about the quality. So if anyone has one let me know what you like or don't like about them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mossberg vs Remington shotguns is like the AK vs AR discussions. I personally have 4 Mossbergs and have had zero issues but I will admit that the Remingtons seem to be more solid. They feel heavier too which is why I went with the Mossbergs

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
im waiting for the next batch of siaga's :goof:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
you wont go wrong with either a 500 or 870 I have several 870's right now but I have abused both of and on since I turned 18 many years ago and think there both as reliable as a hammer
IMHO

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have a Mossy 500 that Ive had for almost 20 years. Never had a single problem with it. I doubt you can go wrong either way. If it were me though, I'd be looking for a semi-auto 12G for home defense. I dont think I'd want to be fumbling around with a slide during a SHTF situation. Yeah I know theres the FTF argument but I think auto-loading technology in shotguns has been around long enough that the semi-autos are just as reliable as the pumps. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
i have an 870 and a western field 550ABD (mossy 500, department store version from long long ago) and it's still a toss-up for me which i'm going to get an 18" barrel for.

guess i'll just have to get one for each. :grin:

seriously you won't go wrong with either. both have proven themselves thousands of times over and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts

I've owned several Mossbergs, and they can be very reliable as well, but not the bombproof reliablity of the 870. I had a 590 decide to stop extracting on me during a 3 gun match. Not good, and glad it was only a match.

If you do go with the Mossy, get the aluminum safety to replace the plastic one, and get the 590 over the 500, much easier to clean the mag tube and change out the mag spring if you need to.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
if you are getting 2 then why not get both?? when you find out which one you like better sell the other one and get one more :mrgreen:

best of all worlds :twisted:

·
Registered
446 Posts
i've got both but i would hve to give a slight edge to the mossberg. like templar said replace the chincy saftey. they are both very reliable and the aftermarket is about dead even anymore so either one is a safe bet. my .02$

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Well I'm going with a Mossbergs 590, The ambi safety sold me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1 870 POLICE

I had both a Mossberg 590A1 and a Remington 870 Mariner. The Remington Police Magnum is the way to good.

BTW for all of us Remington fans Night Hawk in AR has a gunsmith there who was will Scather Tech. for 20+ yrs when it was in TN. He worked for Wilson and then move over to Night Hawk. :hail:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've had my Mossberg 500 for many years and it's still going strong. As others have said, you really can't go wrong with the Mossberg or the Remington 870. Either will serve you well.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I love my Saiga 12, but I'd put my life in the hands of an Remmington 870 any day. The XCS is top choice for pumps in my mind.

Remmington 870 XCS (extreme conditions shotgun)

6+1 capacity, factory tube extension, park finish, all internals are nickle coated. You could seal this weapon in pvc and bury it in the ground for your great-great grand children to use. Fires like any other 870, like a champ.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've got a Mossberg 500 turkey edition shotgun in woodland camo. I'd put my life on it's reliability and durability. Hell the Maverick 88's are just as good if you ask me. I got a mint condition Maverick 88 for $97 out the door at my local pawn shop. I couldn't let that deal pass me up.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I very much like my 870 Special Purpose Magnum.

If you are not in a hurry, take the time to look for an older model 870. The parkerized finish is much more durable than the Express models today.

DK

1 - 20 of 50 Posts