AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news is, he'll sign my firearm registration cards (living in base housing, on an army base, so i have to fill out two little cards per firearm detailing make, model, serial, caliber, etc.--kinda fun when my name shows up in the "make" category for my home-bent AK's :wink: ). Apparently, however, he wants to "sit down and discuss it" first.

:roll:

Now taking bets on the "why do you need so many?" bullshit that seems to plague the officer corps these days. Not saying all officers hate guns. Just seems more and more of them don't understand/approve of ownership.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
When I go into the military as an officer I'll probably be the only one with a small arsenal. :twisted:

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I guess you have to think about it in his terms - he's got to approve or sign-off on that small arsenal. Some knuckleheads would rather not have their name attached to it should you decide to go "Ft. Bragg postal" hiding in the bushes shooting at folks doing PT in the morning. Just the political climate of today oozing into the military now.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's not his approval or disapproval of me owning them. all it is, is me letting them know what i have.

it's just him putting his JH on there to show that he's been made aware of what i have.

i liken it to the CLEO copy of a renewal for my C&R. i'm not asking their permission, just providing a copy as a courtesy.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
But when you're in the military, stuff you do could ruin his career! Hence, he gets to talk to you first. He is responsible for you after all.

Most of my 20 in the Navy I didn't own firearms. When I was single and lived on Base it just wasn't worth the hassle of storing them at the Base Armory. Then I got married and had kids. Didn't want guns around until they got older. Little kids find ways to get into everything! Don't put it past 'em to crack a safe! :grin:
I'm happy to be out now and be "Joe Citizen" again.
When you're in the Military defending our county's freedoms, you do give up freedoms of your own for a while as you serve.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sidecarnutz said:
When you're in the Military defending our county's freedoms, you do give up freedoms of your own for a while as you serve.
I never waived my god-given right to self defense, and I'll be damned if i let some politically-minded "leader" decide otherwise.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
:lol: Well, perhaps not. You have, however, waived your rights to live your life as you see fit for the next few years. Just life in the military man... Rarely do you get the oportunity to decide what YOU would like to do.

Keep a calm, collected, responsible persona about you and you'll probably be fine.

Also.. Obviously, you know your commander better than I, but you may wish not to delve into the whole "building" aspect if you can avoid it. I dunno? From my past experiences with many different commands, the less they knew about me or my life "outside" the military, the better.

Best of luck :smile:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Sidecarnutz wrote:

that's no shit. Not to mention that much of your life may be different than that of soldiers under different command. You'll be fine as long as you keep telling yourself "there's no such thing as fair."

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
So the old demmycrat quip "if you want guns, join the military" wasn't 100% true? I am shocked and outraged that our enemies would lie to us.

·
Super Moderator
10,307 Posts
armakraut said:
So the old demmycrat quip "if you want guns, join the military" wasn't 100% true? I am shocked and outraged that our enemies would lie to us.
Unless you are training or in combat, access to weapons is still very controlled or restricted. Even when you had your weapon in your hand, some NCO is always watching you or you are being controlled or directed in some way.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
armakraut said:
That's what the Nazis said in WWII when they routinely confiscated firearms the the local populace.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
In my view, the least controversial response to "Why do you have so many?'"
is:

"I'm a collector. Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, I am a gun collector. I do it for fun and as an investment."

Just my .02

joedog

·
Super Moderator
10,307 Posts
joedog said:
is:

"I'm a collector. Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, I am a gun collector. I do it for fun and as an investment."

Just my .02

joedog
Reminds me of a old boss I had. He asked me why I needed so many guns and I replied back on why he needed his Corvette to go over 80 MPH? Pretty much shut him down.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
joedog said:
is:

Just my .02

joedog
exactly the approach i'm planning on taking. seems like anything more "to the point" or "in your face" probably wouldn't be too well-accepted.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
i had to do the same thing when i got back from Iraq,.. while i was over i managed to buy a small arsenal of stuff,.. and even though i had moved off post into a apt. where my stuff woould be stored,. i had to fill out the forms to be able to take my stuff on post and shoot on the "civi" side of the zero range.

my 1SG shit a bag of kittens when he saw the three seperate pages of stuff,. and looking it over i got the "what the F**k do you need a MAC 10 for?" when he saw that listed on one of the pages....

my LT was actually pretty intrested in what i had,. and kinda busted my balls about not having any good "clay busters" until i explained that every time i got one my old man would claim it and i would never get it back.

now for the interview,.my commander was actually pretty cool about it,. he said he wanted to get one to keep around the house for protection and such but his Household 6 would always put her foot down.

if your a squared away troop,. and do not have any issues you should be fine. its more of a formality than anything else.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, the more i gave it some thought i realized it's more him keeping his own 6 covered than anything else.

wish i could deploy again and buy a mac10. :lol:

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
the thing of it was that it was not a full auto gun,. it was one of the craptastic semi auto pistols.

i am getting a even bigger pile of toys from this deployment,.. i got a few AK's,. RPK's,. FN's and one big a$$ed .50 BMG.

i keep joking the guys in my squad that i need to get on another deployment to be able to buy the ammo to feed them all.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ah, gotcha.

i'm pretty well set on my next deployment funding a .50BMG upper for mating to one of my stripped AR-15 lowers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WhiteRabbit said:
When I go into the military as an officer I'll probably be the only one with a small arsenal. :twisted:
Only if you wait until I retire. Luckily, I outrank the HHC commander that signs my weapons registration forms so our conversations are usually "Hey, I need to register another. Sign this." and he responds with "Yes, sir."

See you at the Fiddler's Green,
Jim

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
CavalryJim said:
WhiteRabbit said:
Only if you wait until I retire. Luckily, I outrank the HHC commander that signs my weapons registration forms so our conversations are usually "Hey, I need to register another. Sign this." and he responds with "Yes, sir."

See you at the Fiddler's Green,
Jim
I'll bring a canteen :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts