AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are either of these easy to assemble with basic tooling?

I'd like to pick up a .308 battle rifle, but don't have much in the way of tooling.

Or should I just look at JLD or DSA?

Feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I agree with Dieter. FAL is much, much easier than a G3.

I assembled my first FAL with a $7 open ended wrench and a hammer, but the special receiver wrench, barrel vise, and timing tool you can find for sale over at the FAL Files make it go even easier.

I've been sitting on a nice G3 kit for a few years now, and collecting accessories, but I wonder if I'll ever be ready (or willing) to do it myself. Probably not.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
+1 to the FAL kit. Even if you decide to send it off to have it built - Most builders will build for $75, cut your Barell $40ish + $$ for finish. G3's are 'fairly complicated and expensive to have done. I said screw it and bought a JLD like deitter mentioned above. Top notch product

Oh yea, you'll end up with both. :wink:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I havent done either yet, but a local builder here tellls me the FAL
is much easier than the G3. With the G3 you have to cut and weld
the gastube and there is much more PITA work than there is with the
FAL type builds. The $1 mags are nice, but in reality the FAL mags
are not really that expensive. There is also a chance that you might
have to give money to "Spezuhl Weppenz" to get a receiver.
'Nuff said with that...Not gonna happen ever on this end.

Fal kicks less than the G3 types, adjustable gas system on the FAL too.
You can get 30 round mags for the FAL also....they look badass in the gun.

I think i would buy a PTR-91 before i'd build one, if i wanted a G3 type weapon that is.

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would jump on a $250 IMBEL Fal or $350 Austrian STG-58 quick...just go to FAL FILES marketplace and vendors...also CLASSIC ARMS, INTERORDNANCE......screw a HK-91 parts kit, way too expensive and comliance parts are harder to find than for the FAL

·
Registered
551 Posts
Richard W. said:
I agree with Dieter. FAL is much, much easier than a G3.

I assembled my first FAL with a $7 open ended wrench and a hammer, but the special receiver wrench, barrel vise, and timing tool you can find for sale over at the FAL Files make it go even easier.

I've been sitting on a nice G3 kit for a few years now, and collecting accessories, but I wonder if I'll ever be ready (or willing) to do it myself. Probably not.
is it really that simple? What is an average total for all three building tools you listed? plus what do the receivers go for?

thanks.

-mark

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
MauserMark said:
is it really that simple? What is an average total for all three building tools you listed? plus what do the receivers go for?

thanks.

-mark
Mark- The tooling is simple, but it does require some research to understand how to properly choose the correct locking shoulder. The FAL-Files has it all archived.

That reminds me that I forgot to mention headspacing gauges. Some guys use cartridges and thicknesses of tape for these, but I'd recommend getting a Go and a No-Go.

Also, the barrel vise and timing tools are nice, but not indispensible. You will want to buy (or make) a receiver wrench. I think they're going for around $50. Headspace gauges are another $25 apiece.

Receivers are waaaaay expensive now. Nobodies going to be cranking these out like AK's.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yep, figured there was a catch.

Aren't the Receivers cast or forged like AR receivers? Not as simple as stamping some sheet metal like an AK. :sad:

what do decent receivers go for?

-mark

·
Registered
612 Posts
I say go for the FAL.Compliance parts are readily available,you can have it built for around $100,and its fun to shoot.I'm working on my second one right now.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would also go with the FAL. Don't have to worry about fluted chambers and they are much easier to clean. All the controls are laid out better and the most important thing of all is the availability of replacement and aftermarket parts. Although G3s are atleast as fun to shoot, and have a shorter stock for people with short arms like me. FAL's if headspaced tight for .7.62 should be able to shoot .308 also without any problems. If you want to shoot both calibers in a G3 setup you probably need a PTR-91.

On the mag topic I heard about 6 months ago that some company was releasing a drum mag for the G3. None for the FAL yet from them. Of course drum mag on a G3 leads to vehicle mounts which in turn makes the project even more expensive. :razz:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are there any acceptable alternatives to the DSA FAL receiver?

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
DSA is the best as far as receivers go. I've also used DC (Coonan) A+++ receiver as well as Imbels. Stay away (far away) from the others. :wink:

My STG58 kit with Russian scope (probably ditching the scope soon)
* Coonan receiver, FSE FCG, FSE Piston, FSE PG, Tapco Brake *

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
The DSA StG-58A is less expensive than if you were to build it yourself with the same components that they use, and you have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
698 Posts
They both have pros and cons. Its a toss up for me. I guess I would pick the G3. I find it more reliable as far as my own personal rifles goes. It doesn't break down for cleaning as easy as a FAL but , it's still simple. Wipe it out and clean the flutes in the chamber. No gas sytem to clean or worry about. IMO WarDawg

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Templar, nice G1 you have there. What is the wait time on the Austrian rifles? I heard most rifle orders are about a 1-3 month wait most of the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts