AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there collect Case XX knives? I don't, but my Brother has a few and wondered what they may be worth, or where to find some good info. I can possibly take some pics if necessary. Thanks. :smile:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I collect knives, but not "pocket knives", though I do go to the Case swap meets :razz:
I know Case knives can be worth good money.

Theres been lots of pattern variations made over the years.
Condition of the knives will be the main thing.

Then you go by the shape (pattern), shield, scale, blade markings, to determine what you have and it's year of manufacture...
There is a Case dating system.

In 1970, Case added ten dots beneath the “U.S.A” on all knife tangs. Each year a dot was removed. In 1980, the same dating system was used. The differences are the “lightning” form of the “s” in “Case” and “USA,” as well as the placement of the dots above the “USA.” From 1990 to mid-1993, the actual date was stamped on the tang. The dot system was used again from mid-1993 through 1999. In 2000, Case introduced a new tang date stamp: five Xs and five dots. From 2001 through 2005, one dot is removed each year. From 2006 through 2009, an X is removed each year.

Once you have identified all that, then you can narrow down production numbers and value.

You can start here:
http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/

And check here, though I don't know... at all...
how accurate or complete this is, so take it with a grain of salt:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/pri ... e/case.php

And pick up a book such as:
American Premium Guide to Knives & Razors: Identification and Value Guide by Jim Sargent

If it seems like he has something special or interesting,
then he should join the Case collector club, and talk to them...
Or perhaps talk to folks at Bladeforums.com
To get some good knowledgeable opinions on value.
Watching ebay is good too, because things are only worth what someone is willing to pay...
the sites above are where they gather. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts