AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ship a longarm to an FFL for some work, and I am having a mental moment this morning- it is legal to ship a longarm via UPS, correct? Any special things I need to do?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dawg180 said:
I have to ship a longarm to an FFL for some work, and I am having a mental moment this morning- it is legal to ship a longarm via UPS, correct? Any special things I need to do?
It is legal to do so, but UPS has their own rule, and they want you to ship it out via a FFL.

I have found that you just need to label you package as "mechine parts". :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Screw it, I'll just pay the extra $7 and have USPS do it. It will take half the time and I trust them more anyhow.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
"The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery."

basically it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dawg180 said:
Screw it, I'll just pay the extra $7 and have USPS do it. It will take half the time and I trust them more anyhow.
I work for USPS, why would you trust us more? :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
heimdal said:
"The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery."

basically it

They must have changed since the last time I shipped a rifle. They showed me their "rules" which stated that it had to go FFl to FFl.

I just went to another office and sent them out as "mechine" parts, insured for $2000.00.

·
Registered
67 Posts
heimdal said:
USP45 said:
Dawg180 said:
I work for UPS and I trust you more :razz:
Well, I worked for FEDX, and I found it to be no different than USPS, so I would be willing to bet that we are all the same, simply suprised that we get our packages in one piece. :lol:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
USP45 said:
They must have changed since the last time I shipped a rifle. They showed me their "rules" which stated that it had to go FFl to FFl.

I just went to another office and sent them out as "mechine" parts, insured for $2000.00.
Did you go to a UPS Store? They're idiots. Just call for a pick up or take it to an actual center.
USP45 said:
heimdal said:
USP45 said:
Dawg180 said:
I work for UPS and I trust you more :razz:
Well, I worked for FEDX, and I found it to be no different than USPS, so I would be willing to bet that we are all the same, simply suprised that we get our packages in one piece. :lol:
the stories we could tell these people...

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
p

Don't even think about fed-ex, i made the mistake of going there because it was close by.Any way they tell me it had to go overnight.for $115.00, the best part i was going to pay cash.It had to be the exact amout, because they didn't have change,this was at 1 o'clock in the afternoon the woman say's you have to go the store to get change, i went to the store & keeped going.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Ship that baby and I don't mean maybe! Just don't let'em know what it is. It is legal to ship a personal gun to an FFL without having to go through an FFL on your end, whether UPS says so or not.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Re: p

caliri47 said:
Don't even think about fed-ex, i made the mistake of going there because it was close by.Any way they tell me it had to go overnight.for $115.00, the best part i was going to pay cash.It had to be the exact amout, because they didn't have change,this was at 1 o'clock in the afternoon the woman say's you have to go the store to get change, i went to the store & keeped going.
I work for one of the FedEx companies. Sorry about your experience. I can't help you with small packages, but if you ever need a pallet of ammo give me a buzz!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
UPS

I used them to warranty reapair atleast 5 rifles. All the sudden one day I get some snappy little girl who says whats in the box? I said a firearm, she said not on my watch. WTF? She points at the poster behind her, it says no firearms or firearm parts. We argued a little about how many I had already returned. To make things worse, one of the firearms Century had them come and pick it up, I didn't have it ready to ship so the guy just gave me the lable. I checked FedEx, overnight has to be an antique and deactivated, WTF? Century called the UPS headquarters or whatever in Atlanta and they said my local HUB didn't have the authority to restrict my package that was going to a FFL. She has me bring in the rifle that has already been approved for pickup and won't let me send the other. I have them read me the policy outloud. I says I can send firearms if I have a collectors license. I bring my C&R up there and he wants to make a copy. I say no your not an FFL and don't need to do anything but read whats in your hand Mr. Manager. He says OK... The package goes. The other day I sent an AR-15 upper back to UPS and the usual nice girl was working, no problem whatsoever. I was so damn pissed off that day!!!!

On another note one of the wholesalers told me to tell them that its machine parts not a firearm. I don't want my warranty voided though...

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
USP, I wouldn't normally respond in this manner, but you're giving out advice without doing even the most minimal of fact checking.

USP45 said:
Here are the UPS rules. Print it out and take it with you. You don't have to ship it overnight for a rifle. Just take it to your local hub. UPS Stores are a different animal and will not accept firearms for shipment.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... earms.html

* You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
* When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
* You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns, which are discussed above), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
* See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

I have found that you just need to label you package as "mechine parts". :mrgreen:
Besides being a violation of federal law, have fun explaining that if it gets damaged and you need to file a claim.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shipped it USPS. Krink Priority with insurance from IL to NV, not cheap! :neutral:

·
Registered
67 Posts
m0ondoggy said:
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
You are correct, I should have added that I called them and notified them what the mechine parts were, and they had no problem, it was just the clerk that tried to tell me I couldn't do it. :mrgreen:

It would not have been an issue, but I had to drive a 80 mile round trip to do this, and I was not about to go home and start over.

Sometimes living in the boonies has dissadvantages.

Edit to add the whole story.

I guess I can be bad about this sometimes, I didn't put all of this in, as everything went well for me.

I found out after the fact that the ATF came and opened my package and checked the serial number, I can only guess that it was because I called UPS and told the what the mechine parts were.

YMMV

·
Registered
736 Posts
To avoid being confused when you read the rules, remember that you are the shipper when you bring something into UPS

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I've shipped long arms many times via UPS. I go to the hub. The same guy's been there for years, he looks like this :confused:, but he has a mustache. He always asks the same thing: "Sending it in for repair?"
Me: "Yep!"

No problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts