AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I keep getting the auto updates from Window that mess up my getting on line. I went ahead and turn my Auto updates off. I just left it where I will be contacted but choose to update myself vs the computer doing it automatically. Is there any real issue with me doing this ??? I have Windows XP and running FireFox , and ZoneAlarm .. " I don't know Jack about computers. Yeah I'm stupid . :neutral: WarDawg

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
If you don't update when they are available, you open yourself up to malware/problems.

When you do decide to install them, you're gonna have the same problems getting on the net (if not more problems from not installing them when they become available).

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you don't play games, linux is a much better OS. You can spend more time doing what you want to, rather than spending time keeping antivirus, anti-malware, and firewall up and running ( besides getting the wonderful machine-killing windows updates ).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
WarDawg said:
Guys I keep getting the auto updates from Window that mess up my getting on line. I went ahead and turn my Auto updates off. I just left it where I will be contacted but choose to update myself vs the computer doing it automatically. Is there any real issue with me doing this ??? I have Windows XP and running FireFox , and ZoneAlarm .. " I don't know Jack about computers. Yeah I'm stupid . :neutral: WarDawg
The problem is ZoneAlarm. One of the new Windows updates screws up ZoneAlarm somehow and causes you not to be able to get online. Exit ZoneAlarm, install all your updates, turn them back on, then download the newest version of ZoneAlarm. Should fix the prob. I'd leave updates on, but to each his own.

I wouldn't run ZoneAlarm in the first place, as long as you have a hardware firewall built into your router, you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts