AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone here has picked up one of the two U.S. made AUG clones and gotten a chance to try it out.

The 'other' forum has a dedicated bullpup section now, but unfortunately about half the guys there are 'Steyr-centric' and will post in any thrad on them to poo-poo anything that isn't 'real Steyr.'

I was looking for soem honest feedback, and among other things, i would love to know about parts interchangeability between the original Steyr AUG and the MSAR STG-556. I have heard various things form 'nothing will intgerchange' to 'barrels will swap no problem'.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I've shot a pre-89 Steyr, and handled a Microtech, I have had no contact with the TPD.

I had the biggest hard on for a Steyr AUG since I picked up my first issue of "Assault Rifles Annual" back in 1984...... :twisted:

Then I actually shot one. The trigger was sooooooo bad I didn't want to finish the magazine. :sad:

I've heard that the improved trigger packs are much better.

Now then.....this is my personal opinion, worth less than the 2 pfennigs you aren't even paying for it.....

If I were to buy a clone, I'd give more serious consideration to the TPD......much closer to the original AUG, no AR style forward assist (which wasn't needed, the original cocking handle served as a forward assist), and it takes standard M16 mags as well as P-Mags.

I have no idea what the hell Microtech was thinking when they decided to go with a proprietary magazine system. :confused:

The TPD also has a very nice hard chrome lined barrel.

That's it..... zwei pfennigs, bitte. :goof:

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, well apparently you guys are all busy buying AK's and not AUG clones. :wink:

If anyone has firstahnd experience I would love to hear about it. Templar, thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

I also am torn on the $1600 w/optics price of the MSAR vs. its lack of *anything* intercahngeable with a 'real' AUG. The TPD may be considerably more expensive, but if the company goes belly up I can still get parts for it through the typical AUG channels.

To boot, I found out that Steyr has signed contracts with Sabre Defence to bring the AUG (likely the A3) to the U.S. the beginneing of next year. 100 test guns are to be assembled (and likely run through the gun rags for 'evaluation') this fall.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Dawg,

I've got the Black, OD, and Tan MSAR... I've only fired the Black one on the Farm. Never had any problems. Everything fed great from slow fire to as fast as i can pull the trigger. The scope was accurate as far as i can tell(we was shooting tannerite). Rifle handled great, shot great and acutually felt pretty good. I like the 20rnd. Magazines the best. Especially when riding on the 4-wheeler with the rifle. The rifle fell off the 4-wheeler into the mud :shock: and i was able to still shoot without major cleaning.. I did have to knock the big clumps off. Hope this helps...

Roger

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I don't own one, but I've handled an MSAR that a local gun shop owner owns. It was pretty nice. Balanced quite well, and was very short. Can't comment on how they shoot though.

If I had the extra money and the money to be buying .223, I'd probably pick one up.

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually have handled the A1 STG-556, and if it wasn't for the 'proprietary parts' issue I would already have one.

I just keep coming back to the point that if Steyr is going to be brining real AUG's to the U.S., I see MSAR's viability as a company, or at least the mSAR product line, being severely curtailed. WHo is going to buy a proprietary system fro $1600 if you can get the real deal for a few hundred more, and can get NATO stocks for those that allow AR mags to boot? :neutral:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
bullpup

Don't have one but I want one. I agree totally with what Templar said. I would gladly pay the extra $400 ot whatever for the TPD AXR over the MSAR. From what I have heard about the looks ( a little too tactical, don't like rails all over my gun, especially one that wasn't designed for them in the beginning) and the weight, of the AUG A3, I am not excited about it either.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the MSAR 556 rail version. It is very nice, as nice as any other rifle I have owned (and I have owned LOTS of them). Here is a quick pic with a friend...

The cheap scope is getting replaced with an Aimpoint ML3 and LaRue mount any day. I shot it for the first time Saturday and was pleased with the results. No jams, FTE's, or parts shattering.
I think the TPD is probably a fine rifle. I don't know for sure because I have never seen one. The only way to get one is order directly from the company that makes them. It's only in the hands of a few compared to the more availible MSAR series. On the "other board", that's enough to make it ""snob's rifle". To them, the MSAR is comparable to owning a DPMS AR-15 instead of a tricked out LMT or Colt. Also, apparently there was a falling out between some people on the "other board" and MSAR that caused bad feelings, so yes there is some bias for the TPD/Steyr rifles. The spare parts argument holds little water to me. You can get spare parts (if needed) from places like RATWORX or even MSAR themselves. I have not seen any original AUG parts (other than magazines and NATO stock from CDNN) being advertised. There are no surplus AUG parts kits floating around. Most of the spares are being used to build the TPD rifles. Of course, if the AUG series had a reputation for breaking parts, I would think twice before buying one. I also understand that many want the rifle to take AR-15 mags. OK, but if you have over $2000 to spend on a rifle, you can probably afford the mags to go in it. If you want to use AR-15 mags, buy an AR-15. I prefer to use the magazines to rifle was designed around. BTW, MSAR mags are supposed be made by Magpul, so they are good quality magazines.
The bottom line for me is the MSAR is a solid, well made firearm. It may not be perfect, but none is. If Steyr builds a US made AUG that is affordable to the common folks, I will pick one up just because I want one.
'nother pic

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One last bump on this and then I'll let it die a quiet death. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts