AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to get a Yamaha TTR250 in near new condition for 800 bucks from a friend of mine and was wondering how they were before I committed to buy it. Anyone know the pros and cons of this model? I would mainly use it for riding the OHV trails at Uwharrie and around the house which sits in the middle of BFE but has plenty of old roads through the woods.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Don't know that one but we have a Honda XR200. The price sounds more than right if the machine is good to go as is. You'll not forget your first ride through the trees and not regret it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
dont know what year the TTR is but it sounds like its been taken care of and it should make a decent trail bike for the $$$

I made a deal with the wife and Im getting me an 09 YZ450 soon,I cant wait its been 6months without a bike and Im jonesing bad!!! :smile:

·
Registered
949 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the TTR250 is an electric start, 4 stroke trail bike. My wife's nephew had a TTR125. They should be a reliable trail bike. If you are looking for more of an MXer, stick with a 2 stroke.

For $800, depending on condition, I'd say that's a bargain price. You could always flip it for something else and probably end up with a few bucks in your pocket.

Lump

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The TTR is a dual sport bike. Not looking to raise hell with it, just ride with my daughter with her and the XR70 that I bought her. I have 2 four wheelers that I love to ride over there my 300ex for the easier trails and my Arctic Cat 375 Automatic when I feel like going on the rough trails. I like the fact that it has a head light because I like to go over there at night and ride sometimes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
had a 250 4 stroke and i thought it didnt have much power though what it did have qas quite smooth. i owned a yamaha wr450 (or 453 or ahatever it was) good quality but ended trading it for my ktm.... price sounds great , ride it and if you like it id take it home

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
For casual trail riding like you described, the TT should be fine for you, especially if it's your first dirtbike.

·
Banned
698 Posts
I had a CZ motocross bike when I was a kid.

And a couple of Japanese "trail bikes" or whatever they called them.

Oh yeah ENDURO bikes. A Kawasaki 175 and then a Suzuki 400.

Ah, the days of the two stoke!

Now I have a Hog.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I myself ride a kx500 lots of fun and not for a new rider. if this bike has electric start good for you kicking that 500 over will wear you out.Get out there and enjoy the bike but most important wear safty gear. :dance:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Lumpy said:
If you are looking for more of an MXer, stick with a 2 stroke.
Lump
Are you serious? My CRF450(4-stroke) kicks ass. 4-strokes are alot easier to ride IMO. I'll never go back to a 2-stroke.

Depending on how big you are and your skill level, you might want to get a bigger bike.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Depends what you are going to do with it. From your description of your riding area and intentions, it sounds like a good buy pending on the condition. Just make sure you are'nt too heavy for it. The power is for cruising along at trail speeds.

I guess lumpy likes the 2 bangers! I still have a place in my heart for them..4 stokes are the way of the world now and yes they are easier to ride. Revived my "career", so to speak..

·
Registered
949 Posts
I guess lumpy likes the 2 bangers!
Yup. And vintage ones at that.

1979 Yamaha IT175 Enduro, 1000 original miles.

Ain't nuthin like a 2 stroke power band!

Lump

·
Registered
144 Posts
If the tt is in good shape buy it, can't go wrong with a yammyha. I own a few old yammy enduros, have been riding for 40 years, and will continue to ride until I break my neck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very nice Lumpy!

My first bike was a 1985 IT200. That 175 is very cool. One day I will get a project like that going, til then my current bikes are keeping me way too busy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kalash said:
Lumpy said:
If you are looking for more of an MXer, stick with a 2 stroke.
Lump
Are you serious? My CRF450(4-stroke) kicks ass. 4-strokes are alot easier to ride IMO. I'll never go back to a 2-stroke.

Depending on how big you are and your skill level, you might want to get a bigger bike.
I might be mistaken, but I dont think they are making 2 strokes anymore?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Oh you betcha, the 2009 YZ250 and 125 are 2 stroke.

Lump

1 - 20 of 22 Posts