1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I've heard of elephant painting selling for more than $5,000! :shock:

·
Registered
774 Posts
my son and daughter in law got one of these paintings for my wife for Christmas. she's been collecting elephant stuff for her whole life. they also got a DVD that's the same as this Youtube vid. she was so happy she cried. and that's always movement toward "oh go ahead honey, you can get whatever you want" when I start talking about the last slot in the gun safe. it's actually a pretty incredible painting when you look at it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah I seem to remember a elephant named Lucie or something like that... they would auction her paintings to help fund improvements at zoo's ... pretty cool

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've been to Africa and seen these amazing animals in person and then I have also been to the safariland show in Reno where they have videos showing these ignorant hateful bastards shooting them. I love guns a lot but I have never really been into shooting animals - but to shoot an elephant... its staggeringly cruel. Of course I understand that there are situations where it must be done (culling, nuisance or dangerous animals). But to kill for sport is insane.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I could do that...........i wish. :grin:
I know some of you have lots of strong emotions to elephants but this is no elephant it is a artist(man made artist), this skill can be taught to other animals, wild animals will never pickup a brush to paint,its not neccesary.
(preparing to be beaten to a pulp)I have always wanted to hunt a elephant and the other Big 5 since I was a lil boy ,first book I read was Death in the Long Grass ! It is more then fair , he is more likely to kill me then I am of him.
Just my opinion an take with it what you will.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sir I completely understand why someone would want to go after a elephant due to their size and when provoked, quite aggressive nature, but usually these elephants are just a part of our world. They don't bother us and we don't bother them. Actually that isn't true. Due to aggressive land reform in Kenya and poaching - you'll be lucky to hunt them in your lifetime. Of all the animals to kill, I think leave the noble elephant alone.

On a side note - this is annoying now with "sundances" avatar. I'm spending too much time staring at hot titties.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I for one think hunting a magnificent creature such as an elephant for sport is absolutely disgusting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There is a big difference between hunting them and what goes on in most places...... the big problem is with poachers who kill them only for the tusks and no other reason..... the shoot the biggest usually healthiest animals in the heard and cut off the tusks leaving the rest of the animal to rot.....that is BullS*&t......... If the purpose of hunting is for population control and the health of the heard hunting can be a good thing........

But that it not the case in most situations today.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
WarBaby said:
I for one think hunting a magnificent creature such as an elephant for sport is absolutely disgusting.
+1 These are smart animals! They even mourn the deaths of others in the heard!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
WarBaby said:
So then you'd rather they not be hunted at all, thus causing their already overpopulated numbers to increase exponentially? They already pose a serious problem for many African villagers in terms of trampling/eating a year's worth of crops in half a day, killing villagers who may not even see them in the bush as they travel, and completely ravaging the vegetation in their home ranges.

Methinks perhaps you should study up a bit on the impact the Elephant has on its environment before you spout off about how hunting them is horrible. Not only is it good, it's very necessary for the survival of the herd and species as a whole--just like any other animal.

Not to mention that when a hunter is successful in taking their animal, the local villagers come out in DROVES to help with the butchering of the carcass. Not an ounce of the animal that can be used gets wasted. Just about the only thing left is bones and viscera--and the scavengers take care of that.

Elephants are magnificent creatures, no doubt about it. Extremely intelligent too. The opportunity to hunt one (even a tuskless) is something I am willing to sacrifice a LOT for.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
FYI, this is a thread about elephants painting, not elephant hunting...

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
100 Round Drum said:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/elephantpainting.asp I'll be first to admit that I thought this was BS. Seems they do have a photographic memory, I always thought that was just an old wives tale.
How is is BS? The elephant is painting. It matters not about its training.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Armed Ferret said:
WarBaby said:
So then you'd rather they not be hunted at all, thus causing their already overpopulated numbers to increase exponentially?
Under the Endangered Species Act, the African elephant is listed as a threatened species and the Asian elephant is listed as an endangered species. "Endangered" means a species is considered in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range, and "threatened" means a species is considered in danger of becoming endangered. I think it is disgusting that there is a possibility this animal could become extinct from existence. Id rather they not be hunted at all. And as Phreakmode said, this was a thread about painting and not hunting. With that said, im shutting it down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.