AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the call today that I got a job! Thanks to Red Green! Anyways, I'm gonna be on my feet say, 10 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week. Walking 20 miles or so a week, or so they say. Recommend me a good pair of light weight, hot weather, well made boots. I love my Altama combat boots, ( hot weather, desert tan with the Marine Corp emblem on the heels), but I know they will get heavy after a while. I bought a pair of Red Wings and I wore those out in a couple months. I bought a pair of Bates side zip boots but even in a 13W, they were too narrow for my 12W feet. I'm a big guy and I know that kind of work will wear anything out fast...

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Congrats on the employment. :beer: Boots are a fickle subject.. I hated the Desert Altamas because I literally walked my feet off in a pair in Iraq... Danners have always been good to me.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I worked for the post office for years walking 8-10 miles a day. My boot of choice.....plainjane black Welco combat boots with the ro search soles. I wore out a pair about every 6-7 months. Uppers were still good but the soles were shot by that point.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
doc martins makes a pretty good work boot. I've been wearing them for the past five years they are comfortable enough for alot of walking and have pretty durable soles.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Danner makes great, rugged boots with their US made line, but they are on the heavy side. For light weight, Nike and Oakley both make combat boots for the street environment. They don't have aggressive soles for rough terrain though. I've always heard good things about Lowa boots, but have never tried them. Debating buying some for my next pair to go lighter than the Danner's.

Nathan

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Belleville 800 series. Goretex, steel toe, leather and they wear like a sneaker. US Navy flight deck approved. A little pricey but extremely comfortable boots.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If your job doesn't require a uniform looking boot then I'd recommend staying away from military style boots and go with a hiking boot/shoe, far more comfortable and almost always lighter. Salomon and Merrel are my favorite brands, I never wear my uniform boots when I go hiking, shooting, or hunting. Though, I actually wear shoes for those activities and not boots, my go to shoes right now are Salomon XA PRO 3D Ultra 2s.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I have a pair of bates that I would wear everyday if I could get away with it. They are like sneakers yet durable as all get out.

They are hot weather with vents, but I can't remember the model name.
I desperately search for similar ones in black and with no vents for winter use and never can find any.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Do they have to be steel toe?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
4 miles a day? Bicycle?

All I want in life is a government job where I can ride an old bicycle, and I'm actually working on that. Lol.

I know you said boots, and we are getting into the realm of steel toes, but they make endless ansi rated steel toe sneakers too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I will find out today if they have to be anything special. I don't believe they have to be steel toe. The job is an underground utility locator, so no bicycle... I had a pair of Doc Martens but those were so damn heavy.
I was looking at these:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/rocky-brand ... boots.html

these: http://bdu.com/mens-belleville-one-xero ... ht-assault

or these: http://bdu.com/mens-altama-8-litespeed

Like I said, I'll find out today what they need to be as I go down and fill out the hiring paperwork. I like the boots for ankle support. I will check out the other that everyone has suggestested

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you work as a locator don't worry what color your boots start out as, because they will soon end up painted to match the utility that you locate for. APS red, SWG yellow, COP blue and green and ELM orange. If you ever locate in Phoenix metro be on the lookout for a Centurylink bucket truck with an AK bolt face decal on the back window. I call for bluestakes every day during monsoon.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Bates Tropical Durashocks.

I've never had a pair that felt better, even compared to running shoes. They are very light weight and have no insulation.

The upper construction is similar to a jungle boot. They have safety toes - don't recall if they are steel or composite.

I don't know what witchcraft they use to make the Durashock cushion sole but they feel awesome, even at the end of the day.

I bought 2 pairs on a whim from LA Police Gear when they were on sale for $40 each. Wish I bought more at that price.

I've worn the first pair daily for a year and a half - still have lots of life.

And yes, I am wearing them today and took them off for the photo. :smile:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yavlar said:
If you work as a locator don't worry what color your boots start out as, because they will soon end up painted to match the utility that you locate for. APS red, SWG yellow, COP blue and green and ELM orange. If you ever locate in Phoenix metro be on the lookout for a Centurylink bucket truck with an AK bolt face decal on the back window. I call for bluestakes every day during monsoon.

Then I guess they'll end up orange..... Not sure what area I will be locating in. I have 4 weeks of training.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would guess you are on your way to locate encap splices for prism tv. ELM just got the contract to do that work for us. Good times, when you hit the field pm me and I can give you my work cell #

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yavlar said:
I would guess you are on your way to locate encap splices for prism tv. ELM just got the contract to do that work for us. Good times, when you hit the field pm me and I can give you my work cell #

Will do, thanks.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I've been lucky to be assigned to units with large budgets. I don't know the price and the numbers don't reflect my preference.

#1 Oakley
I had two pairs issued to me, super light weight feels like wearing sneakers. There are not water proof and wear pretty quickly. Great for hot summers and your feet will freeze during the winter.

#2 Danner TFX
Again, I was issued two pairs for cold weather. They are gore tex lined all the way to the top to keep water out and perform well in both hot and cold climates. Nothing worse than stepping of a boat ramp in a few inches of water when it's 10 degrees out, these babies keep them dry.

#3 Rocky S2V
Four pairs issued. These boots are the heaviest and do the same thing as the Danners. They will be extremely uncomfortable to break in, once broken in they are pretty comfy. They do have a "cool" operator look to them and I have 3 pairs still in the packaging.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts