AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a milled Bulgarian AK47 kit like this:

I purchased an original "Classic" barrel from K-Var, a CNC Warrior receiver, excellent condition bakelite handguards from Cope's and a new reddish plastic buttstock from K-Var. I'm getting ready to have it built, but can't decide on the finish. The finish that came on the kit appears to be painted like the current production Bulgarian AK's. However, based on the fact that the original handguards were renumbered twice, I highly suspect that the rifle was rearsenaled at some point. So, what type of finish was originally on the milled AK47's with this stock set? Was is blued, painted, parkerized, or something else?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe they are blued. Here's a pic from another forum of afghan forces or US special forces with double circle 10 Bulgarian milled rifles image_zps398d0856.jpg

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xoldsmugglerx, I sure hope that's an Afghan soldier. Since they were available blued at some point, I've decided to go with the blued finish. I sent my kit and receiver off to Two Rivers Arms last week.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Get it blued. Looks IMO the best and you can always change it to a park or paint but not so easy to go back.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I also think the original Bulgarian AKK was blued, but I intend to go with Gunkote 2401 Satin Black on my SA-93 conversion. It's a very low gloss. Maybe 10%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts